Search the forum,

Discuss Crimped copper pipe fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renewable M

Hi.

I've been looking at the crimping tools and fittings for copper pipe. I have seen installs where the crimped fittings are used, and crikey they look sensational.

And of course, no gas torches needed on site.

I think there is a washer inside the copper fitting that gets compressed onto the pipe.

Has anyone used them? I image the 'machine' is a few quid!

Matt

Hi.

I've been looking at the crimping tools and fittings for copper pipe. I have seen installs where the crimped fittings are used, and crikey they look sensational.

And of course, no gas torches needed on site.

I think there is a washer inside the copper fitting that gets compressed onto the pipe.

Has anyone used them? I image the 'machine' is a few quid!

Matt
looked at these a while ago machine was 600 quid and diferent jaws for different makes at 100 a pop put me right of but will probably be cheaper as it gets more wide spread

They tend to be used for certain marine and chemical plant applications, where cost of the fittings and the tools is not such an issue.
The fittings used are a precision-engineered product.
They are used for high-reliability applications, where the risk of failure is a big issue.
I can't see them catching on for general use because of the cost.

I can't see them catching on for general use because of the cost.[/QUOTE]

this system has been in use in the uk for 15 years,i have been using this for the last 10+ years,the smaller size fittings have come down in price over the years because there are numerous manufactures now,mostly used in hospitals,schools,offices, to avoid any contamination in pipework.
The fitting has an O ring internally,and is available in copper,brass,carbon and stainless steel.
rems do a very good cordless unit with 15 - 28mm dies and plumb centre did a promo on them recently.
The original system is german.
No good for working in very confined spaces.

used them a few years back when working for a solar panel company... all pipework from the twin coil cylinders to the panels on the roof were crimped. It can be used in confined areas but you have to work from the tightess area of the cylinder cupboard outwards.. the only problem is if the fittings fail.. (and it is usually in a tight spot) you have to undo all the other pipes (cut them) to get to faulty fitting.
good luck...and i agree they look really impressive if you have any exposed pipework....

used all the time in public sector work. saves the agro of hot permits, which can be quite a paperfull process. easy to use, rarely causes a problem. machine about 900 quid, fittings 3 times the cost of yorkshire. growing in popularity.
i dont like them, but they do appear to be the way forward.

Thanks for the comments. From what I've found out they do seem to be very reliable, and the joint-without-gas is a biggie.

thanks all.

I can't see them catching on for general use because of the cost.

ha ha , yes mate , a doomed product !

we've just completed a contract with St Leger Homes (ex doncaster council) and it was their spec that they wanted crimped fittings in the loft space on the gas pipework (the rest of the heating install was push fit plastic). We used the pegler range (prices already agreed with pegler/merchants), and the cordless rems machine cost approx ÂŁ600 plus ÂŁ100 per set of jaws (28mm, 22mm, 15mm = ÂŁ300) but this saved alot of time with hot works etc and checks in the loft space. We also used the same machine (and jaws)on the stainless steel gas pipework externally.

I use these fittings quite a lot on my commercail work on pipework up to 50 (2inch) steel, when you are changing a boiler or doing alterations they are invaluable.

Means i can do the job myself, unlike if your trying to put a thread on a 2inch pipe or tighten 2inch pipework be yourself it's impossible.

However cant see the catching on in the private domestic market, in places where hot work permits are required they pay for themselves time and time again.

bob

used them alot on commercial, if the pipe was fully slipped and it crimped properly then there was never any leaks. Always breaking down and costing alot to get repaired though, well they did with my old company lol.

I prefer soldering though, they can be a pain in confined spaces trying to get the machine in.

Fittings look awful on show, nowhere near as good as a soldered joint.
Used the Unipipe system too on a few jobs up to 75mm diameter, worked well but again terrible on view.

we used the REMS cordless machine - a bit like using a cordless drill, takes 1hr to charge and the end where the jaws fit, swivels 360 degrees so you should always be able to crimp the joint. it's just a case of putting the jaws on the fitting and pulling the trigger until it 'clicks', then job done.

Great for getting out of hot works permits. Each crimp takes about 8 seconds to do and pipes can be joined even if there is a small amount of water in the pipes, unlike soldering.

Forward planning is required for using the fittings in confined spaces. Only downside in my opinion is the radius bends for the 90° fittings etc, unless anyone has seen proper elbow fittings?

I'm quite sure that yorkshire make a crimped elbow (not a swept bend) in their range

I'm on a job at the moment using B press fittings. Were working in a 600 year old stately home. Everything is made of wood so the job spec specified that we use B press.

Upsides:
Very quick
No need for hot works permit
Can use with small amounts of water in the pipe

cons:
Pricey fittings, gun and different size jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Crimped copper pipe fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock