Search the forum,

Discuss Creating A Multi-Zone Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have bought quite a large house to renovate and have completed the upstairs but am now wanting to create a multi-zone heating configuration.

I have bought a nest thermostat, we already have many google home's in our house so this was a logical step. I am not a plumber but can get my head around most things but would really appreciate some pointers on achieving my goal please.

I do not know what type of heating configuration I have but we had a new Intergas HE24 condensor boiler fitted on moving in as the property was empty for quite some time and had corroded inside out!

There is an actuator valve for central heating and another for hot water so I imagine I am going to need more of these for each zone? are there any recommendations? if this is correct and for example I end up with 7 zones and an actuator valve for each zone what would I then connect them to make them all work? I understand the nest can control each zone but sureley it would need to be connected to a control unit capable of controlling each zone?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as 30 minutes on the phone with nest was not very helpful :-(

Few questions

Do you want to zone every rad eg each rad or set of rads on its own zone with its own thermostat

Or zone each floor ?

Hi Shaun, thank you for your reply.

I am aiming for the following

Upstairs
Bedroom 1 with 1 rad = zone 1
Bedroom 2 with 1 rad = zone 2
Bathroom with heated towel rail (no zoning required)

Downstairs
Bedroom 3 with 2 rads = zone 3
Bedroom 4 with 1 rad = zone 4
Hallway with 2 rads = zone 5
Office with 1 rad = zone 6

Not sure what to do with the kitchen/living area as it is very large with a 14kw log burner I installed last year and there are 5 rads, probably wise to zone the whole area and centralize the stat away from the burner?

Again, thanks for your response!

might be best to go with something like the evohome setup

Contact honeywell and get them to come up with a design evohome would be your best option . you wont be able to use a nest to control more than 2 zones i believe. Cheers kop

Cheers for your replies guys. I believe the evohome would be a better solution as the house is 30m long so it would be a lot of work. I am now wondering if there are any nest compatible trv's on the market or coming soon as I prefer nest...

I am aiming for the following

Upstairs
Bedroom 1 with 1 rad = zone 1
Bedroom 2 with 1 rad = zone 2
Bathroom with heated towel rail (no zoning required)

Downstairs
Bedroom 3 with 2 rads = zone 3
Bedroom 4 with 1 rad = zone 4
Hallway with 2 rads = zone 5
Office with 1 rad = zone 6

Not sure what to do with the kitchen/living area as it is very large with a 14kw log burner I installed last year and there are 5 rads, probably wise to zone the whole area and centralize the stat away from the burner?
Have you checked that the piping layout is compatible with your zoning requirements? Zones with a single rad are no problem as the zone valve can be fitted on the feed to that rad. But if a zone has more than one rad, the valve has to be fitted on a pipe which is common to both rads; and the common pipe may be feeding other rads in a different zone.

Hi, that is something I was looking at this morning, I am hoping I will be able to fit multiple smart trv's and group them somehow to a single zone? I can do this with speakers & light switches so fingers crossed

Also you could look at Drayton mi series

Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Google Nest which is my main goal here...

Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Google Nest which is my main goal here...

Don't fall into the "I saved £50 on a thermostat so I'm spending £2k upgrading the rest of the system so I can use it. I love a bargain :)" trap.

Don't fall into the "I saved £50 on a thermostat so I'm spending £2k upgrading the rest of the system so I can use it. I love a bargain :)" trap.

Don't worry, I will be pricing each complete system before making a decision, I really like the nest and would like to go that route but if it means to much £££ compared to another system that would do pretty much the same thing I wont... The MiHome is not expensive so will speak to them tomorrow and fingers crossed it will all work with the nest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Creating A Multi-Zone Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock