Search the forum,

Discuss Cowboy victim? Wrong flow direction WUFH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this.

Recently had an extension put on the side of the house for a new living room with wet UFH. Rest of the house is on rads running from a gas combi boiler.

I have a feeling that the pipe work has been connected to the UFH pump the wrong way around. This would not surprise me as the sub contractor my builder used was not far from useless.

I've attached a pic showing the direction that the water is trying to flow through the system, but it seems odd to me that the pump would be situated where the water exits the system. The pump makes no noise at all, so I assume it's not activating, either that or it's really bloody quiet!

The 'return' is never more than luke warm, but the flow pipe is too hot to touch.

Am I seeing a problem that isn't there, or was this plumber actually more useless than I thought he could be?

All advice appreciated.

image.jpeg

Is there a stamp on the valves with F & R or just coloured handles

Hi Scott,

The side with the blue tap has a ‘C’ stamped into the metal, the side with the red tap has a ‘H’ stamped.

I’ve attached a couple additional photos of the actual setup. The white pipe to the left is the hot flow, the white pipe beneath the pump is the cold return.

I think the evidence points toward it being plumbed the wrong way around, but I just need another opinion before I approach the builder.

Thanks again for the help.

5BD89E22-2F53-48CB-AB93-06ADB8D41BFE.jpeg

E2C5A494-A8ED-4379-B232-01179C354FB2.jpeg

C should be the return and h should be the flow

As said above the flow should be on the right, ive fitted this type before. Now the reason you can’t hear that pump running is because there is a little stat (in the white box on right) which is linked to the pump. The stat is factory set to 40 or 45 degrees C (can’t remember exactly) which can’t be altered. The reason that pump will never run is because the flow and return seem to be the wrong way around so the water temperature obviously won’t click the pump in. Get them back to sort it
Hope this helps

Reply to Cowboy victim? Wrong flow direction WUFH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock