Search the forum,

Discuss Covering Gas Pipes Internally in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlieangel30

HI Everyone,

Over the weekend I discovered a Gas leak in my lounge, which British Gas have sorted.

They turned off the Gas until it could be fixed.

And 1 day later have re-laid all my gas pipes in my lounge, however the gas pipes WERE beautifully under the floor and British Gas have refused to do this. So i now have HIDEOUS copper piping around my living room, not ideal at all.
I have been looking at the options ie Boxing it in etc..however all of this is not aesthetically pleasing, and as the living room is rather small I don't really want to have anything to obtrusive.
I was hoping that i can get some nice coving however after reading a few things this may not be possible cos of ventilation.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful - i have pics if anyone wants to see
I am very lucky I didnt blow myself up the gas men told me

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 173
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 173
I agree that does look hideous, i would of got someone else to run it the way you wanted. If i was you i would put a small boxing round it and paint it. You can get little round vents to put on the boxing that wouldn't look too bad.

Apart from getting someone else to re run it i cant see a better way of hiding it.

the problem is with re-running it is money and also under my wooden floor is concrete so the damage would be excessive and my insurance company have already told me they wouldn't pay out! A
Can you buy the boxing with vents or would i need someone to do it?
Ideally this is something i would like to do myself
thank you :)

Its easy enough to do yourself, you just need some 2x1 and some ply, with the vents you drill a hole in the ply and the vents clip in,

thank you :) will go to the builders merchant to investigate!
i dont suppose coving is really an option as i thought then this could go round the whole room and make it look more "even"

Im not sure about the coving tbh normal plaster coving won't do the trick as there isn't enough of a gap behind for the pipe and you don't to be getting adhesive on the pipe either.

Im not sure about the coving tbh normal plaster coving won't do the trick as there isn't enough of a gap behind for the pipe and you don't to be getting adhesive on the pipe either.

thank you - the builder merchant says to paint it for the time-being! WAH
x

[DLMURL="http://www.talon.co.uk/products/box-cover.html"]Box Cover - Talon Manufacturing[/DLMURL]

it looks like that but id personally say it would be a bit of a eye sore unless you got tight up to the ceiling and ran all way round.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks :) the issue is cos my house is very old the walls and ceiling arent very straight.
might givem them a go tho! x

They left a some lovely flux runs ! Whatever u do its going to look special! Is there no alternative route? In ceiling? Or is it a flat?

Flux runs?
its a house but British Gas literally only did what they wanted to make it easy :S

I wouldn't accept that you couldn't see the pipe before so why settle for seeing it now they should have run underfloor upstairs.as normal min work most profit

i know but they have doen the work now and i only just had my ceiling done! :( very annoying! x

they had to run the pipes again as my pipes we under the floor wrapped in cement so they coudnt work out where the leak was so they just cut them and re-ran them! i have homecare 400 so i didnt have to pay anything :)

Well that's not correct! Home care costs u lots and what u get done is horrific. Te ceilings wouldn't need to be touched. Simply lift a few floor boards upstairs .

That is terrible workmanship, I would not be accepting that in a million years. Make a formal written complaint to British Gas, if they reply with a deadlock letter or they take longer than 8 weeks to sort out this shambles, then escalate your complaint to the energy ombudsmen (see link below) they will 100% rule in your favour over this.

Energy

thank you, i am going to take this up formally as it does look shocking i just needed the work done if you get what i mean :)

Totally understand, this isn't your fault, stopping works could have been a breech of the contract anyway, which could have put you on the back foot.

Don't let them get away with this though, also keep us updated.

Can i have your permission to post these to another forum? i won't link them to you. Cheers

yeah i will do, they are coming back tomorrow to connect the gas to my fireplace - wait till you see that :S
of course no problem at all please feel free to share away!
Also did you see my post about some coving i found, am trying to work out if this needs holes in it to vent it? x

thank you ! flipping BG for causing the hideous pipes in the first place :(

i just check the online agreement, cue the angry letter coming from me! i have huge holes in my walls :(

if your not happy complain - the more you complain and moan the more chance you will have getting changed

Totally agree. I wouldnt do it like that and i wouldnt accept it. It looks like a council house job.

Ventilation is only required if the boxing in has a cross section bigger than 0.01m2, or a volume greater than 0.1m3 so work it out and decide whether vents are needed
Eg 40mm x 50mm can be 50m long before it needs a vent, and each different room is calculated separately as the pipes should be sealed between rooms making each room a separate duct, oops I've just worked it out for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Also not sure if the pipe in pic 3 is sleeved through the wall, all in all not the best pipe run or solution I've seen, OP you are wrong to say it hasn't cost you, as you pay for the cover, yes it hasn't cost you any extra but you are paying, I would invite BG back and ask for their comment on that being the "best" work a company that big and prestigious could do, and wouldn't it be embarrassing if someone altered and fixed it, especially with all the internet publicity good or bad that would come from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Covering Gas Pipes Internally in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock