Search the forum,

Discuss Corroded and damaged radiator bleeding valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all,

Hoping someone could advise as I woke to find water pooling at the bottom of my guest room radiator. Upon closer inspection I found the valve where the radiator is bled from looks cracked and corroded and had started to leak water. (See pictures)
Please could someone advise me on the following:

1) Is there a quick and easy way to repair this as I can’t really afford to replace the entire radiator. If so can I do it myself?

2) The radiator was only fitted 18 months ago along with all the others in the house. What could be the cause for the corroding and cracking and should I be worried about the same happening to the other radiators?

A huge thank you in advance

E90520D7-70CE-4291-A1FB-237260DBF6B5.jpeg

336E71A1-CC1B-42C9-9B85-91E231F57F8C.jpeg

A618B203-8BAC-4E28-A6BD-A9222CA2AB4C.jpeg

Hard to say but the sealing o ring is damaged in the top photo , I would isolate the radiator by its valves drain a few litres of water out of the rad remove the old air tap and clean up the rusted area then treat with a rust primer and top coat of grey spray car paint , fit a new air tap adding a few wraps of ptfe and fill vent and give it a try . Kop

I think the cracks are just paint flaking off. The radiator is probably sound.

As mentioned above a poor install possibly caused by over/under tightening or a defective 'o' ring or uneven sealing face.

The cure is as mentioned above.

You also need to go round all your rads one by one and check for any signs of leaks at all 4 points. It's a 'stitch in time' with things like that- catch a small leak before it corrodes your rad.

Remove the old bleed valve and while you’ve got it out give the area a clean up with wire wool and a rag, you may find the old valve leaked or wasn’t seated correctly causing the radiator to rust. Fit a new valve and see if it cures it.
It’s worth trying this way first as valves are only a few quid compared to the exorbitant price of rads.
It’s what I would do anyway. Maybe a little hammerite touch up paint too if it stops the leak.

Or maybe wasn't tightened enough in the first place? Leaking, paint peeling. You could lock the radiator off. Open the vent make sure the radiator is locked off. Open the nut at the top. You will get some water put a cloth around it. Take the nut and buy an o'ring to fit. You will need to clean up the top of the radiator. Refit. Open radiator valves and refill and test. Alternately get your plumber back.

Reply to Corroded and damaged radiator bleeding valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock