Search the forum,

Discuss Corgi registration - Progression to becoming a Gas Installer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aqua Mechanica

Hi,

Please excuse me if this has been asked a thousand times before, which it most probably has.

I am 28 years old, have paid for all my own courses, have a job with Watkins Plumbing in London (who I believe are taking people on at this moment in time - October 2008) and I have almost completed my Tech Cert and NVQ level 2 and will then be going on to do both at level 3 shortly. I also have completed the BPEC Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems qualification and am a Competant Person ...allegedly :)

From there, what do I need to do to become a corgi registered gas installer?

Quite simply, as most Plumbers want to do, I want to competantly fit boilers and perform a complete installation instead of "everything but the gas connection" or be able to service and maintain an already installed gas boiler.

Any help, advice, websites, other threads and or training material you can point me to will be most appreciated.

Thanks one and all, and I apologise again if I have bored you with the same question, perhaps the moderators can make this a "Sticky" thread so it remains at the top and all newbie plumbers can see it?

Thanks again

Ben Wood
AQUA MECHANICA PLUMBING

Last edited by a moderator:
when i did my corgi 8 yrs ago everyone had to have nvq level 4 or city and guilds in plumbing, everyone else was sent home.

There is no NVQ level 4 in Plumbing????

Anyways, I have kind of have an idea where to start and that would be with the ACS certifiation.

Seems I should start with a course to get CCN1 and CEN1 and then build up from there.

I found this on a trainer's website: -

Level 3 Qualifications

ACS Assessments -
  • Core Gas Safety (CCN1) plus a choice of the following: -
  • Central Heating (CEN1),
  • Water Heaters (WAT1),
  • Gas Fires (HTR1),
  • Cookers (CKR1),
  • Ducted Warm Air (DAH1),
  • Meters (MET1),
  • Leisure (LEI1).
Electrical, Energy Efficiency and Combi-Boiler Fault Finding:
  • BPEC (Level 3) Essential Electrics
  • BPEC (Level 3) Combi-Boiler Fault Finding
  • BPEC (Level 3) Part P - Defined Scope Electrical Competency
  • BPEC (Level 3) Part L - Energy Efficiency

what is 'doing my corgi'?

do you mean taking your ACS? why did they invite people in to send them home?

Hi there, think this is my first post but anyway.

I'm a plumber in the same boat. I did my course at Penarth and have got the BPEC WRAS and NVQ 2 in plumbing. Now to do your ACS to work with gas you either have to be plumbing for 1 year to get experience, or you could work with a gas installer for 6 months and so he can become your referee to vouch for your plumbing.

So seeing as your with a company, if they do gas and you've been with them for over 6 months, then ask if they'll vouch for you if you take an ACS course. If you stay with them, which would be wise during the credit crisis, then you can still do gas installs with them etc, becuase it'll be the company that's CORGI registered which also takes responsibility for you.

Only if you go on your own do you need to look at becoming CORGI.

hth,

Dai.

You don't need any NVQ's to do ACS, and never have.

tell that to the 15 blokes sent home on the first day. it was 8 years ago so i am a bit of an old timer. i personally cant see how you can have a qualified gas engineer who cant solder a joint or use a pipe bender(unless they use speedfit):)

i'm doing my acs at the mo and you are right you don't have to be nvq..all

this means that if you are nvq you show 20 jobs in your portfolio if not

you just got to show slightly more jobs.thats it

Some of you guys have had a bad day by the sounds of things, lighten up you buch of grumpy old turds. :D Ive only been on this forum for a couple of days and there are some really bitter and angry plumbers/gas fitters.

YouTube - Robin Williams golf Go there and cheer up a bit

:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
You don't need any NVQ's to do ACS, and never have.

tell that to the 15 blokes sent home on the first day. it was 8 years ago so i am a bit of an old timer. i personally cant see how you can have a qualified gas engineer who cant solder a joint or use a pipe bender(unless they use speedfit):)

Tell whom you like, it's correct. And has been for a lot more than 8 years.
What you personally can't see, isn't relevant, neither is Speedfit because you can't use it on for gas.

Individual ACS centres can make their own demands. Ask your local centre what theirs are.

Quote:
"
Quite simply, as most Plumbers want to do, I want to competantly fit boilers and perform a complete installation instead of "everything but the gas connection" or be able to service and maintain an already installed gas boiler.
"

I'm a competant DIY'er looking in on all of this. My advice is you can't part install a boiler all bar the gas connection. I've been told even screwing the boiler to the wall is CORGI related, as its a Gas fitting.

Are you allowed to partially install a boiler because you're part of a company and a CORGI colleague then finishes off?

Just keen to understand. Cheers

"Are you allowed to partially install a boiler because you're part of a company "
Technically, no. Being part of a company makes no diffference!

Corgi installers don't want to do what you want, generally, for a number of reasons:
1) Money. You want to do the non-technical part of the job and save lots of money. They want all the money becuse it's what puts food on their family's table. The sort of work you want to do, could be done by a "lad", who would have done it more than you, so be quicker, and to the Corgi man's methods, and for maybe £70 - £120 a day.
People think that a Corgi installer can do say 3-5 boiler changeovers a week, but it doesn't work out like that. It's on boiler installations that he'll probably look to earn most of his income. Gross profit on a "simplest" one day boiler swap might be, to pluck a number, £700. Net profit maybe £450. He's still going to spend most of a day with you if he manages the installation, but if you want £225 off, he has to find two installations to do, to earn the same. See?
2) It's a real pain working with even the most competent DIYer. It's bad enough with other pro's! There are always things that aren't understood, or are got wrong. Whatever fee is agreed up front, when extra time or visits are needed, there's often friction.
3) It's a right ball-ache getting Corgi registered, in the eyes of many who've done it. Expensive, time consuming, high responsibility and the rest. Self employed installers get no company employee rights like sickpay, pensions, or free training, insurance or transport. So why should he take all the pain and then go out of his way to save you money?

hi guys, does any one know a training centre anyware witch will do the acs course only?

can anyone give me advice on good acs training providers?, i am doing a bit of practical with a gas safe fitter at the mo.

SGAS in blackpool, i have heard many a good thing about them.

shaun

Try Able Skills in Dartford, they've been recommended to me, let me know how you get on ;-)

"hi guys, does any one know a training centre anyware witch will do the acs course only?"
You're confusing training with ACS. ACS is about testing/certifying you, not training.
When you turn up first time for ACS assessment, you'll be asked for evidence of training/experience, if you're claiming you have it. Many/most ACS centres do a couple or so days training, whether you're new with experience, or are reassessing after the 5 years, but it's only for updating, or runnning through what you should already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corgi registration - Progression to becoming a Gas Installer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock