Search the forum,

Discuss Corgi Gas Earnings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mat

Hello All

I'm just about to start a apprenticeships with British Gas to become a Corgi gas man. Pretty happy with their training package and wages after qualifying. What I'd really like to know is what a realistic wage self employed is. People have been telling my 50-100k.

Bit much to ask strangers what they earn but it private, in a way.

Cheers

50-100k, that's a BELTER that one is, AM I DREAMING, somebody wake me up!!

If you don't mind me asking you mate, what kind of money do British Gas offer you as an apprentice?

It is possible to earn over the £50k mark but as mentioned your looking at long hours and almost no rest/ quality time. Sometimes its better to team up with another self emplyed guy and split the work load.

Also, the different divercities of work you carry out dictates your income.

No you are about to start an apprenticeship with BG to be a gasman, Corgi dont come into anymore and never did imo anyway. Stick at it and you will be well trained.

I dont know of anyone earning the sort of money you state at BG, if you want to get rich get another job .....city trader.... thats the way to go.

had a leaflet through the door from a training center stating that you could earn £90.00 an hour as a plumber thats £720 a day which comes to £187,200 per year verified by reports from the daily mail/express so it must be true, personally i wouldnt get out of bed for that sort of money

Yeah thats right ,would have to be at least 250k a year to get me out of bed, what with the price of fuel these days, filling up the Bentley is becoming rather expensive :rolleyes:

mod

cant you just dump this thread.

"somewhere over the rainbow"

According to a recent 'State of the Trade' survey we carried out, the median hourly rate was £40/hour for gas work and £33/hour for plumbing work.

These figures relate to the south of England.

According to a recent 'State of the Trade' survey we carried out, the median hourly rate was £40/hour for gas work and £33/hour for plumbing work.

These figures relate to the south of England.

Who is ..we.....?

Who is ..we.....?

'We' are a Plumber's Merchant in the south.

We have done a survey for the last few years to give our customers an idea of the 'going rate' in the area.

If I remember correctly, last years rates were £35/hr for gas and £30/hr for plumbing.

give or take.

The range was wide though.

I think the lowest rate was about £16/hour and the highest was about £70/hour.

Oops, sorry!

I don't have a clue how those two posts got merged :eek:

Oh, ffs!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
40quid an hour. if thats a company then id say yes thats right, they have to pay fuel, head office, pensions, sick pay etc, seems alot for a one man band, that 120quid for 3 hours work, youd only need to work one long day to make a decent living?????????????????????
i presume these are the rates for cowboy outfits who charge when they turn up , picking up materials etc and string it out
if these are genuinne one man bands then it seems extreem.

people need to know that there are big overheads for plumbers, a company chargin 40quid have alot to pay out.

if someone wants a career change then they should consider if their current role includes pension, set hours, promotion, sick pay etc, a higher hourly rate isnt everything.

i worked for myself for a while getting alot more money, but if i had no work for 2/3 days that ate into my monthly earnings, people need to realise that the work isnt a given

one of the call centres i sub to charge approx depending -
on plumbing.

£70 hour 9-5pm
£85 " 5-10pm
£110 " 10-6am

weekends about £20 dearer on hourly rate.
---------------------------------

average day rate for self employed is £200
callouts can be £50-£65 hour
second hour on £25-35 hour

Ultimately you can earn as much or as little as you work to get, as with any other field.
Mr Mullins of Pimlico Plumbers earns over £1,000,000 a year.

An ad in a local paper for a £600 quick plumbing course says plumbers average £25,000 a year.

yes these places tell you to take your time on the job, i dont like that

Ultimately you can earn as much or as little as you work to get, as with any other field.
Mr Mullins of Pimlico Plumbers earns over £1,000,000 a year.

An ad in a local paper for a £600 quick plumbing course says plumbers average £25,000 a year.

Misprint - I meant £6000 not £600

15 an hour is a bit cheap? i thought the going rate was about 25. im an employee so its different. i get paid 12 jib rates, im sold for 32

shaun

i do love my job and the problems get sent to. beats all the headaches i used to have!

ALL respect to you shaun as you know reasonably well that you have a weeks work on monday mornings.
as for the fifteen quid?. no bull- i wouldnt turn up for that even for a quote..
my dad had a delivery firm that i helped with before he died, over five years go delivering sofas etc and he used to pay £35 per hour driver and 15 for mate??????.
working for myself you can add yours and his rate per hour then i decide if i want the job or not.
if i ever get to the point im earning less than £25 an hour for plumbing im changing carreer. unless its a day rate ie. £25x10hrs

ya, sorry.
non-gas

ALL respect to you shaun as you know reasonably well that you have a weeks work on monday mornings.
as for the fifteen quid?. no bull- i wouldnt turn up for that even for a quote..
my dad had a delivery firm that i helped with before he died, over five years go delivering sofas etc and he used to pay £35 per hour driver and 15 for mate??????.
working for myself you can add yours and his rate per hour then i decide if i want the job or not.
if i ever get to the point im earning less than £25 an hour for plumbing im changing carreer. unless its a day rate ie. £25x10hrs

ya, sorry.
non-gas

Are you saying £50/ hr for non gas work??. not sure I could sleep at night.

2+2=.....
£15+£12=£27 p.h
about a tenner short for me if its less than 4 hours work.
and about the same for a self-employed delivery driver who knows his crak and how to work it.

3 years ago when we were running the family business we were charging £30 per hour. We gave it up because we were barely breaking even and the local market wouldn't stand any more. Time you figure in public liability insurance, vehicle running costs and insurance, repairs and renewals of tools, CORGI membership and then figure in the number of non profitable hours spent pricing, invoicing etc. we were earning around £8 per hour.

A sole trader doesn't have quite so many overheads but if you're not recompensing yourself properly for the number of hours that you put in then you may as well get a job (like i did).

Mike

quiz....

if company (a) charge £45 per hour runing a yard and 20 staff,
company (b) charge £45 per hour running a van a home and 'yours truly'.
customer (c) gets the same job done either way.

1, who earns the most profit ?.
2, who gets the job done cheaper ?.

answer,, welcome to the 21st century buisness ecconomics and marketing practices.

only difference is employee welfare and longer lunch breaks when you have nowt on.

Hmm!

I though most firms put in "guesstimates" and hope for the best. Making high ones when busy and low ones when not. :)

I've worked in companies where the pricing has been more or less based on what they think the customer can afford. Up here the Housing Assocaitons rule the roost on bread and butter everyday domestic work. You don't tell them your rate they tell you theirs, then its take it or leave it, plenty of others who will do the job.

I suppose being fair companies want a mark up of at least 10% an hour clear, in this day and age. Its better than you get leaving the money sitting in the bank. Imagine a high street retailer probably makes something like 4-500% mark up on some things, but they usually seem to go bust pretty quick even then.

was on £7.25 in old job plumbing
moved into maintance at a unversity and with call out now take about £25.000 a year but have got gas ticket as well but they dont want to pay me extra for that as they paid (dont get that somehow)

As I said earlier in this thread, last year's 'State of the Trade' survey returned a median hourly rate of £40/hour for gas work and £33/hour for plumbing work.The corresponding figures for the year before were £35/hr for gas and £30/hr for plumbing. These figures relate to the south of England.

We are working with 'Heating & Plumbing Magazine' on this year's survey and national figures will be published later this year and more detailed figures for PO, SO, BN and GU postcodes in our newsletter, Williams Weekly.

You can see our newsletter here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williams.uk.com%2F"]Trade Only plumbing & Heating supplies[/DLMURL]

Because we don't sell to the public, you would need to PM me to get a password, but only if you are in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corgi Gas Earnings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock