Search the forum,

Discuss core drilling with a 2kg SDS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

I wanted to know if anyone out there has successfully drilled a 120mm core with a 2kg (800W) sds drill.
There seem to be a few core drills on the market now that are very thin and claim they place less load on the drill so a smaller drill can be used. I have a hitachi 800W drill (dh24pc3 is the model) that seems to have plenty of torque (huge impact energy as well while I think about it although I know this is irrelevant for core drilling as).

It's always the clutch that gives on core drilling isn't it!?

I have two SDS's - both Bosch. Neither of them are purpose designed core drills. I did buy the bigger one for that purpose though. I know it's about 800W. It does the job.

I did chat to a BT engineer the other day who had been issued with a new 'core drill'. Not SDS, standard chuck. He said it was brilliant. I'll speak to him tommorow and get the model number.

You can do it but it won't be as effective as a purpose designed core drill. I've done it when the commutator went on my core drill.

Mike

HArdly ideal is it -especially for the size of hole you want. For over 100mm it is recommended to use a proper core drill.

Even a 4kg Bosch is only rated to about 70-80mm cores . . .

Still you can try - probably burn your drill out tho.

I have a rather cheap 6kg sds, which has kicked the **** out of everything I have thrown at it for the last year or so! I was expecting it to die on me whilst core cutting, but no the beast keeps fighting!

Goes to show sometimes!

Like I say, my Bosch SDS isn't a proper core drill, but it does the job everytime, no problems. Gets a bit warm sometimes, depends how hard the bricks are! It wasn't a cheap drill though, I've had it a few years, and I think I paid Ā£250 for it, and it was on special.

Now I know the general consensus on core drills, I'll buy a 'proper' core drill when I kill this one!

Totally agree with avatar, a cheap 5kg or 6 kg from screwfix/plumbfix is good value for core drilling up to 127mm. My cheapo Performance Pro from B+Q lasted nearly 3 years, and I used it as a "Kango" quite a lot too before it went "boing" and committed Hari Kari all over the bathroom floor, but for Ā£40 it was worth every penny.

A word of warning, the posting above re: clutch failure is bang on, but on mine the clutch failed by not slipping and therefore threw me around a couple of times before it self destructed, my mate's similar model clutch failed the other way by slipping at lower torque loadings, still useful as a "kango" though.

Be very wary of drilling a big hole without a clutch on the drill, i've known people to be thrown of ladders or break a wrist when a core suddenly jams in the hole, its really not very pleasant.

Good budget sds for core cutting (best not to get the cheapest):

Erbauer 6kg (the same as my one, i got for Ā£60 tho) - [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.NoLinkingToThis%2Fprods%2F36136%2FPower-Tools%2FSDS-Corded-Drills%2FErbauer-6kg-SDS-Drill%3Fcm_mmc%3DGoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Power%2520Tools-_-Erbauer%25206kg%2520SDS%2520Drill"]Erbauer 6kg SDS Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys[/DLMURL]

Titan 5kg (not as good as erbauer)- [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.NoLinkingToThis%2Fprods%2F88854%2FPower-Tools%2FSDS-Corded-Drills%2FTitan-PDH26S6-6kg-SDS-Plus-Drill%3Fcm_mmc%3DGoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Power%2520Tools-_-Titan%2520PDH26S6%25206kg%2520SDS%2520Plus%2520Drill"]Titan PDH26S6 6kg SDS Plus Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys[/DLMURL]

Even this one looks ok -
[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FstoreId%3D10001%26catalogId%3D1500001501%26productId%3D1500345351%26langId%3D-1%26engine%3Dfroogle%26keyword%3DChallenge%2BXtreme%2BRotary%2BHammer%2BDrill%2B1200%2BWatts"]Buy Challenge Xtreme Rotary Hammer Drill 1200 Watts. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .[/DLMURL]

Toolstation - Toolstation > Power Tools > Silverline Power Tools > Pro 5KG SDS+ Hammer Drill

Wickes proffesional (good value/quality build this one) - Wickes *–*Tools, Ladders & Storage*–*Power Tools*–*Drills*–*700W 3kg SDS Hammer Drill

Screwfix is good - if my erbauer dies within 2 years I get a new one, no quibbles!

I would probably go for the wickes one for value at the mo!

Double check that they have a clutch tho . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Always use the right tool for the job - 800w Makita core drills pretty much industry standard,bit slow but will get there - Dewalt do an excellent core drill also and if money no object go for Hilti! Use your Bosch SDS for what it was intended for and it will give you many years of good service.

Personally I wouldn't even try to core drill without the drill having a clutch. Our Makita is still going strong after years of use.

Thanks guys. My drill does have a clutch but was just wondering what you guys did since I wanted to avoid buying more stuff that is not used all that often (in my case).

why are you talking about 2,4,8 kg impact u dont use cores on hammers setting you want high rpm and power watts ! i currently use a hilti dd130 with bolt anchor rig but the wika gear will rip it to shreds in a straight dogfight !!! use the proper tool and do a proper job !!

I use Makita 8406.And it does the job great.Marcrist cores as well.

I use the 8406 as well. For the OP, if your are looking to buy a core drill go for one that has a standard chuck (like the 8406). If you don't you could find that you are limited to using that makes drills only.

Multidrills jam easyily with core drills i think, they just clutch out and get jammed. where as core drill give you alot of resistance and you know way before it jams. It took me 3 years to learn my lesson on that one, 3 years of struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to core drilling with a 2kg SDS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock