Search the forum,

Discuss Copper Tap Connector will not fit tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to plumb copper to my bath valves rather than flexible hoses as this is a job I only want to do once. I tried 3 local shops for some 15mm x 3/4" solder ring tap connectors and eventually found some.

Unfortunately the hole in the bottom of the bath valve has a smaller diameter (ID 17.1mm) than the end of the fitting (OD 19mm);the valve outlet on the side is even smaller (ID 15.2mm). I have a photo but the site will not allow me to insert it.

So my question is:

• Can I cut/file off that bit of the connector, that would insert into the fitting, flush with the ring onto which the nut tightens or will this weaken the ring too much?
  • Am I likely to be able to locate a copper tap fitting with a narrower end?
  • If I were to use a 3/4 x 15 flexible copper stick am I likely to have the same problem?

Here's the photo ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418159043.214990.jpg

thats because the tap end is designed for a flexi connector, it has a flat face for the rubber washer to work properly. New taps required dont be messing with trying to make a comp fitting work with that or you'll end up crying.

Whenever I come across that problem, I just cut the raised bit off the tap connector with a hacksaw. Then finish with a file and emery cloth. Bit of paste on the washer and Alls good.

Whenever I come across that problem, I just cut the raised bit off the tap connector with a hacksaw. Then finish with a file and emery cloth. Bit of paste on the washer and Alls good.

I wouldnt have you in my home :)

So workable options are the 3/4 female iron, cutting the raised bit off or using a flexi for which the tap appears to be designed for.

I know flexi is easy and easy is seldom best but what are the downsides of cutting the raised bit off.

Strange how my in-laws new build house is all plastic and flexi yet I feel I should copper it all the way

So workable options are the 3/4 female iron ................do it right,

what are the downsides of cutting the raised bit off................watch it leak

I feel I should copper it all the way and watch it last for years n years

Unfortunately the thread on the female irons is too long for the valve so the washer will not seat. It looks like I either use flexis or find some new valves to feed the overflow filler that will take a copper connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper Tap Connector will not fit tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe using compression: https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-compression-straight-tap-connector-15mm-x-1-2-/58294 If not, please could someone let me know...
Replies
Views
Hi folks Really daft question here but what tap connectors are you all using? I’ve picked up a couple of end feed with fibre washers today and the washers didn’t fit. Just would not fit over the little spigot that sits just inside the tap. I ended up using different washers which were baggy...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
P
quality product wanted, my 1/4 turn kitchen sink tap inserts need replacing and i am looking for ones with a spindle gland nut, rather than a circlip which previous experiance says won't last five minutes. as the circlip either weakens or wears out. none of the ironmongery supermarkets appear...
Replies
Views
Pete Williams
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock