Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Conventional system hot water pump issue in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Jay2kayuk

Jay2kayuk New Member

I have a conventional system and my boiler has Surrey flange. The expansion pipe feeds upstairs bathroom also, but I would like to pump the hot water for upstairs similar to the diagram. Do I have to run a separate feed to upstairs supply?

8700DD45-B45B-4AF0-9CF9-76E0FB5D33E9.jpeg

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

So pumped shower and hot water upstairs?? Not pumped down stairs

3. Jay2kayuk

Jay2kayuk New Member

Pumped shower on middle floor and hot water. Need to pump top floor.

4. Riley

Are the water tanks above that?

5. Jay2kayuk

Jay2kayuk New Member

Yes water tanks are in loft above that.

6. Riley

Ok then you’d probably need minimal repiping and a whole house pump. As long as the tanks are well above all outlets then you can get away with a positive head. You may wish to consider getting larger loft tanks to compensate the likely increased water useage

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jay2kayuk

Jay2kayuk New Member

I was actually thinking about switching cold to mains and pumping hot from middle floor. But again the top floor hot is fed off same feed as expansion.

8. Riley

If you are going to pump it then pump the lot otherwise your supplies will not be balanced

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Coby kenny AGUILAR

Coby kenny AGUILAR Member

Cap the upstairs feed off the vent preferably cutting the tee out

Run a separate supply for the hot upstairs down to the pump - to pump outlet

Unvented cylinder if you've got the pressure is a better way to go

10. Coby kenny AGUILAR

Coby kenny AGUILAR Member

Also check the cold down service you haven't shown it in your drawing.

If the hot tees off the vent that high up chance are the cold down service is tee'd off too

11. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Why didn't whoever drew that show a pt 2 ball valve I wonder?

Most pumps will work perfectly well with as little as 400mm tween the bottom of the stored water and the highest point in the shower.
    So far as I recall, all pump manus tell you to double the amount of stored water when pumping. The way additional tanks are linked is also very important in order to avoid genuine nasties.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019