Search the forum,

Discuss Continual Droning noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

surreydinks

help! we are being driven mad and losing sleep due to a continual low pitched droning noise (with intermittent pauses) that appeared in our home just before Christmas. we have checked the water cistern in the attic (which is only in place about 4 years - as previous one burst) and can find no vibration from the pipes in or out of it and done the same for the hot water tank. We have also turned off the electric to check it isn't related to the power supply as it almost sounds like an electrical buzz - but the 'noise' continued when the power was off. Any thoughts on how we can remedy this as soon as possible?? thanks :(

"help! we are being driven mad and losing sleep due to a continual low pitched droning noise (with intermittent pauses) that appeared in our home just before Christmas"

You don't have Gordon Brown in your house by any chance do you? :D

Does the noise stop after you turn off the mains water?

Sounds like a cistern washer or similar, as above - Does it still make this noise with the cold mains off ?

sounds like ball valve problem. quick and easy and cheap to sort out. Is it only at night, as this is when the incoming mains cold will increase in pressure.

"Is it only at night, as this is when the incoming mains cold will increase in pressure." <--------------- Never had any problems due to this myself, but its a great thing to keep in mind for future, never thought about that. :)

"help! we are being driven mad and losing sleep due to a continual low pitched droning noise (with intermittent pauses) that appeared in our home just before Christmas"

You don't have Gordon Brown in your house by any chance do you? :D

Does the noise stop after you turn off the mains water?
Gosh thanks for the responses! Miserably for me - we had a visit from a friendly plumber on Saturday who, together with my hubby, told me I had ear problems...grrrhhh. However, I don't think they tried turning the water off at the mains...and I certainly notice it much more at night....so there is a possible connection there - am enlisting a friend to confirm if it is my ears or not - a female one who will be more supportive!!!
If it is water pressure I don't suppose there is much we can do about that???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Continual Droning noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock