Discuss Considering getting into the trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steak_and_chips

Hi,

I'm 25 and a journalism graduate from Walhamstow in east London. I'm quite keen to go into plumbing due to the potential money and it just seems like an interesting career.

I feel the best way to do so is through a college rather then a quick course.

I'm concerned about the length of time it could take to get qualified enough to work, but feel evening classes are the only way to go as I would probably need to continue to work.

How long does it take before you sart earning decent money (over £20,000)?

I would be keen to eventually be self employed but to start with, is it best to start with someone like British Gas?

Just any general advice would be appreciated, i have looked on these forums and am still confused.

Is it best to get advice from the job centre? Local college? City & Guilds.

Thanks in advance

dont believe the nonsense plumbers are minted its bull,theres no work around at the moment everybody is struggling

as far as i know,one of my mates in birminham says its the same up there

can someone please tell me where all the bull about plumbing and gasmen being millionaires is coming from
ATTN ANY PERSON WANTING TO GET INTO THE TRADE
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF FULLY SKILLED TIME SERVED PLUMBERS ETC THE TRADE IS PROBABLY SIMILAR TO BACK IN THE EIGHTIES
its a long hard slog to establish yourself
factor in
cost of
van
van insurance
public liability insurance
tools

quoted for combi boiler chop last night incl full powerflush using vaillant 831 and controls told him 1600 and he said look me in the eye and tell me thats your lowest price thats over 1100 of parts and he still wanted it cheaper and said he would let me know
not holding my breath the boiler he has is ferrolli and is shagged flue doesnt even clear the outer wall was put in by john wayne
stationary
advertising
training
low wages for years
time spent quoting and not getting jobs
accountant fees
no holiday pay
no sick pay
its an endless list
i blame the training companies spouting about their 12 week course and bang youre on 70000 a year
its like a panto and the trainees are dick whittington the streets are not paved with gold
its a hard dirty job and the rewards will be a long time coming

Last edited by a moderator:
im in walthamstow been trading 35 years and struggling so dont belive the hype theres no shortage of plumbers or gas fitters if you can get an apprenteship with btitish gas grab it but as for going it alone it will be a long time till you see any returns

you could try to lobby for work or phone round for work and pretend you are qualified. that will tell you how much work there is

5 yr apprentenceship/further 10 years to confident in all,gas,plumbing and heating
worked for bg for 18yrs,self employed now,for 10 yrs make a living but work hard for it,its something your not going to learn at nightschool,no money in plumbing,only gas

Youve got a degree in journalism and you want to be a plumber?, My sister in law to be is a journalist, she earns alot more than me.
I wish I had a degree in journalism Id give up plumbing and become a journalist.

Youve got a degree in journalism and you want to be a plumber?, My sister in law to be is a journalist, she earns alot more than me.
I wish I had a degree in journalism Id give up plumbing and become a journalist.
perhaps it could be worthwhile writing a report on

'how plumbing does not pay £70k p.a, the only winners are course providers' for the tabloids.

as a journalist, do you know how that story was spun about the plumbing market or how old the report is?.:confused:

I earn 19,000 a year and there are no jobs going anywhere. I was originally sucked in by the media hype yes, but felt it best to research a lot.

I must admit after reading this forum, blogs etc I am more sceptical, which is a shame as it is a job I think I would enjoy.

However, if it means me earning less than what I am now, it's hard to justify a career change

I earn 19,000 a year and there are no jobs going anywhere. I was originally sucked in by the media hype yes, but felt it best to research a lot.

I must admit after reading this forum, blogs etc I am more sceptical, which is a shame as it is a job I think I would enjoy.

However, if it means me earning less than what I am now, it's hard to justify a career change

average earnings for a plumber working local for a firm is about 20k.

The big money in any trade comes from hours worked not hourly rate. whether self employed or through a company, to get your money up to 30/40k you need to be putting in alot of hours, possibly 50/60 per week

I'm in the same situation, i'm a print buyer in canary wharf and i've always wanted to do plumbing. Last year i applied to a number of college's to do plumbing in the evening. I was turned down by all but one college as they hold the evening courses for people already in the trade. But Lewisham college let me in and i started in Sept. I currently studying towards a L2 C&G and a NVQ 2. The only problem is you can only complete the NVQ L2 if your working as a plumber, because you need to take picture's you you carring out your work. because i work during the week i only have weekends free, so i emailed 100 or so plumbers asking if i could get some experience with them but with no luck. No NVQ 2 no L3/NVQ3.

I think i'll be ok, even without the NVQ i think this course will give me enough to do some small private work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Considering getting into the trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
H
I'm a 31 yr old male 3 weeks into the level 2 City and Guilds certificate course. I trained as a Nurse in late teens and practiced until my mid...
Replies
Views
M
I am a 25 year old looking to make a career change to plumbing. This has been a goal of mine for some time, so I have undertaken my 2 year City &...
Replies
Views
Mheppolette
M
R
Hi, my name is Remik, I would ask for any help in my research, becouse I'm looking for professional and trustworthy plumber or company in East...
Replies
Views
Remik Kosetka
R
Back