Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Connecting Flexible Tap connector to Copper pipework in the Valves & Taps area at

  1. KingK

    KingK New Member

    Hi - apologies for the stupid question but really struggling to find the right answer (I'm a novice as you'll see).

    New kitchen tap fitted with 2 flexible tap connectors. The ends (which connect to the incoming pipework) have a diameter of 22mm and have female connections.

    I need to connect these to the incoming pipework which is 15mm (along with 2 isolators).

    From research I need either Male Compression converters or Tap Tail Adapters.

    My confusion lies around their sizing metrics and what end they are referring to when stating the dimensions e.g.

    Toolstation (product 57822) - compression coupler male 22mm x 3.4"
    Tap Tail Adaptors 15mm x 1/2" (product 14081)

    So my questions:
    1) What the difference between a compression coupler and a tap tail adaptor?
    2) What size of the above do I need?
    3) Can anyone explain, in simple terms, what all these measurements refer to?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance given
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Riley

    Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

  3. Ben-gee

    Ben-gee Active Member

    I take it you measured the female connection to get 22mm? This is in fact a 1/2" BSP female thread (don't worry about the nomenclature).
    A "tap tail adaptor" has a solid round shank which you fit into the isolator valve on your 15mm pipework, it ends in a male 1/2" BSP thread which your flexi will go straight onto using a rubber washer. This is the easiest method.
    For compression you will need a "15mm to 1/2" Male iron". This will then go; isolator - short piece of 15mm tube - compression fitting - flexi.
    Get yourself the tap tails.
  4. Ben-gee

    Ben-gee Active Member

    Riley got in whilst I was typing!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. KingK

    KingK New Member

    Thanks both.

    @Ben-gee@Ben-gee , yes I measured the female connection to get 22mm. I purchased the tap from eBay (made in China), so maybe this is the reason for the strange size?

    To confirm I have understood this correctly:

    - You can use either a Compression Fitting OR a Tap Tail Adapter.

    This is the order:

    - Tap > flexi hose > compression fitting (+ short piece of 15mm tube) OR tap tail adapter > isolator > main pipework

    Assume, whatever option I go for, either of these are ok?

    Compression Coupler Male 15mm x 1/2"

    Tap Tail Adaptors 15mm x 1/2"

    Thanks again.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. JCplumb

    JCplumb Plumber

    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    When measuring threads there always up one size

    So 1/2 measures 3/4 ish
    3/4 measures 1" etc
    • Like Like x 1
  8. KingK

    KingK New Member

    Thanks all - ordered the part and it fit!
    • Winner Winner x 1
Similar Threads - Connecting Flexible connector Forum Date
Connecting to cast iron waste Plumbing Forum Mar 16, 2019
Connecting in to Galvanised pipe. Plumbing Forum Mar 12, 2019