Search the forum,

Discuss Confused on what qualifications I need to get started in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe0411

First of all, hello this is my first post here :)

I am very interested in becoming a qualified plumber but I am a bit confused on what qualifications I need to work towards. From looking around this forum and the internet it appears that I need to complete a City & Guilds 6189 Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating then find employment and work towards a level 2 (and 3 if I wanted) NVQ. Is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you Joe, I've been in this trade for 40 years and I am stil finding things that I used to do a few years ago but I'm now no longer 'competent' to do so without a piece of paper and a £200 debit on my bank account.
Good luck mate.

Wow that sucks dude. Do you have any general advice for me about what life is like being a plumber?

I'm at that stage in my life where I really need to choose a career to work towards and plumbing is one of my top choices.

Plumbing and all associated trades are hard on the body and totally unappreciated.
(we are all ripoff merchants)

If you've got the smarts I'd recommend s less physical occupation.
If you get the opportunity I would strongly recommend going for a degree in a proper subject.

if your not afraid of some hard work and getting dirty then plumbing can be a good career, you can earn a decent wage but not going to be earning a fortune i would highly recommend going down the apprenticeship route and gaining the full NVQ3 with gas qualifications also

if your not afraid of some hard work and getting dirty then plumbing can be a good career, you can earn a decent wage but not going to be earning a fortune i would highly recommend going down the apprenticeship route and gaining the full NVQ3 with gas qualifications also

Yeah!
And at some stage you'll get to answer a post like 'my tap is dripping, advice please'

@mountainman
Thanks for the advice, I understand that there is a lot of hard work involved in being a plumber but I feel as though it would be a rewarding career. I enjoy building things (I built my own PC) and finding out how things are made, plumbing just clicks in my mind as something I would enjoy doing. I have done voluntary work in an office before and did not enjoy my time there at all, I nearly tore my hair out from boredom. I would rather have a more hands-on career.

@GQuigley67
An apprenticeship would be the best choice I agree, but they are very hard to get so it looks like a college course will have to do unless I get lucky. I'll most likely do the NVQ3 too.

get the experience mate..experience is nothing anyone can learn to solder a bit of pipe, but when your out there on the field in sumones house by yourself...remember its all down to you!! to do your job.. no1 looking over your shoulder for you.. Experience=Competence!

@Hardy1
Experience is definitely something important as with any career, I guess I will gradually get it as I go along. And hey, worst case scenario if I forget how to do something I can whip out my phone and have quick a look online :)

Quite often the theory and know how is easy, it's putting it into practice that's difficult.

You'll find that plumbing (especially the basics) are easy to understand, fairly straightforward in the college workshop but an absolute nightmare in a customers property!

In my formative years I was rather good at plumbing, heating, electrics, mechanical engineering, electronics and computer programming.
I'm still pretty good at most of these disciplines but everyone wants the cheap job!

@Resolute
Yeah I imagine it's going be to tricky at times, but it will hopefully make me feel accomplished when I get it right :)

Was I right in my first post about what qualifications I need?

@Resolute
Yeah I imagine it's going be to tricky at times, but it will hopefully make me feel accomplished when I get it right :)

You are on the right lines about the qualifications but it's important to also get experience. No firm will take you on without experience but also unlikely to take you on without an NVQ level 2 either - bit of a chicken and egg situation really!

@Resolute
Yeah exactly, it's like when I was looking for work nobody would take me on because I lacked experience, but how am I meant to get experience if nobody will take me on in the first place? All I could do was voluntary work and I felt like a slave working for nothing. An insurance company even had the cheek to turn me down due to lack of experience even though I worked there voluntary for a month! Maybe I could get my own experience by doing some self-employed work?

@Resolute
Yeah exactly, it's like when I was looking for work nobody would take me on because I lacked experience, but how am I meant to get experience if nobody will take me on in the first place? All I could do was voluntary work and I felt like a slave working for nothing. An insurance company even had the cheek to turn me down due to lack of experience even though I worked there voluntary for a month! Maybe I could get my own experience by doing some self-employed work?

A number of people have gone down that route but beware it is a hard path to tread! If you do go self employed make sure you are insured and know your limits. Start small and build up.

If you enjoy finding out how things work and stuff like that and if you're trying to embark on a new career, have you thought about the motor mechanical world?

I'm not trying to put you off plumbing, just trying to help you think about other possibilities before you spend much time and money on this caper. Plumbing's fine once you've been going for a good three years or so. You still get the most exasperating jobs from time to time but after a good 2-3 years you learn all sorts of things to make life easier.

I know cars are becoming more complicated these days but if you are happy with oily hands, being a mobile motor mechanic could bring in loads of money - for some odd reason it seems to take 2 days for a normal car service these days. Being mobile means you have to turn up with the correct parts and also it means that in most cases the customer hasn't got any worries about getting too and from the garage before and after work and stuff like that.

Just a thought.

People seem to think entering a trade requires the qualifications to get the job. I'm afraid it works the other way around as most find out.

People seem to think entering a trade requires the qualifications to get the job. I'm afraid it works the other way around as most find out.

good post tamz, is always been that way

id only add in terms of education their remit is to supply education and skills to those who wish to do it, whether that leads to a job or not is a different matter!!

Quite often the theory and know how is easy, it's putting it into practice that's difficult.

You'll find that plumbing (especially the basics) are easy to understand, fairly straightforward in the college workshop but an absolute nightmare in a customers property!

true, but you cannot put anything into practice you havnt first learnt

First of all, hello this is my first post here :)

I am very interested in becoming a qualified plumber but I am a bit confused on what qualifications I need to work towards. From looking around this forum and the internet it appears that I need to complete a City & Guilds 6189 Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating then find employment and work towards a level 2 (and 3 if I wanted) NVQ. Is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

not correct, the 6189 diploma is an NVQ

get the experience mate..experience is nothing anyone can learn to solder a bit of pipe, but when your out there on the field in sumones house by yourself...remember its all down to you!! to do your job.. no1 looking over your shoulder for you.. Experience=Competence!

i know where you are coming from but cannot agree. i know many experienced plumbers i wouldnt call competent

@Resolute

as tamz says you really need a job not the course, but without a job your only coice is a tech cert, the 6129 is outgoing but due to be replced. thats the best option but be warned it does not give you qual to call yourself a plumber. currently that is NOT POSSIBLE without a job

not correct, the 6189 diploma is an NVQ

Oh right.. This is getting confusing :sad_smile:

The college near me says they do City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma is that something I should do to get started before I do the level 2 NVQ? Or do I have to start with the level 1 NVQ?

From what I've read the City & Guilds diplomas help you get the apprenticeship you require to study the NVQ..?

Last edited by a moderator:

That all sounds how things should be but who's gonna take me on when I know nothing about plumbing? I need to get some knowledge of the trade before I begin or I wouldn't be able to do anything without constant help

That all sounds how things should be but who's gonna take me on when I know nothing about plumbing? I need to get some knowledge of the trade before I begin or I wouldn't be able to do anything without constant help

I wonder what led to this belief? and it is a general belief that training is needed prior to apprenticeship - ask your tutors if they required a pre-apprenticeship course?

In PHAM news it was published that 50,000 apprentices had been processed through JTL in the last two decades. Given that JTL are just one training provider and the figures suggest an oversupply of time-served apprentices, it leaves little scope for those thinking there are any opportunities at all to be had in the plumbing industry.

Its no wonder that this was published in H&V news:

Jobs crisis threatens industry access | News | Heating and Ventilation News

I think this is just the start of the crisis unfolding in the plumbing industry and for apprenticeships generally.

Last edited:
I don't know if this misconception that to enter a trade you need some sort of pre qualification to get your foot in the door is being pushed by careers people and clueless teachers but it seems to be a general consensus among the ill informed. The reality is you don't. All you need is a half decent general education. You will then be taught all you need to know by the people you work for. Also like a lot of other jobs, who you know gets you further than what you know.

Good article Clanger, thanks. I hadn't read it.
The way things are going could see some trades return to the way it became in the 70's and 80's (specifically at the time with the trowel trades and joiners) with SC60's which killed apprenticeships for years as the tradesmen were all self employed and no youngsters got started.
Quite worrying.

I wonder what led to this belief?
The fact that I always get turned down to everything because of my lack of work experience. What am I gonna say on the phone to a plumber? Hey I'd like to start plumbing and I'd like to work with you. Okay what do you know about plumbing? Ermm... *hangs up*

You guys dont seem very happy with plumbing in general so now I don't know what to do with myself :/

Oh right.. This is getting confusing :sad_smile:

The college near me says they do City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma is that something I should do to get started before I do the level 2 NVQ? Or do I have to start with the level 1 NVQ?

From what I've read the City & Guilds diplomas help you get the apprenticeship you require to study the NVQ..?

there is no 6189 level 1? level 2 and 3 only

there is no level 1 nvq only bs2000

The fact that I always get turned down to everything because of my lack of work experience. What am I gonna say on the phone to a plumber? Hey I'd like to start plumbing and I'd like to work with you. Okay what do you know about plumbing? Ermm... *hangs up*

You guys dont seem very happy with plumbing in general so now I don't know what to do with myself :/

the only course you can get without being employed or working in the industry isnt enough to get you fully qualified. do you think they will put the phone down because you dont have a basic unqualified course behind you? obviously not, its because they dont want chancers, they want plumbers. a quick course isnt what you are missing it is employment

the only course you can get without being employed or working in the industry isnt enough to get you fully qualified. do you think they will put the phone down because you dont have a basic unqualified course behind you? obviously not, its because they dont want chancers, they want plumbers. a quick course isnt what you are missing it is employment

Right, so, do you think I should contact local plumbers and see if they want an extra hand?

Right, so, do you think I should contact local plumbers and see if they want an extra hand?

i really hope you can get something but ii fear you will really struggle, there just isnt the work, the market is flooded parden the pun with too many inexperienced plumbers with little or no qquals.

if its really what you want do the course but realise its not a ticket to employment, it may help but enter it with the right info

good luck

You could try this

[video=youtube;p2inSqo3Q3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2inSqo3Q3c&feature=related[/video]

This was the way things were for some in the early 80's and is the way things are moving again.

Joe, I don't think plumbers on here are trying to discourage you.

If you can't find a placement before training, what makes you think you will find one after spending £thousands on a course?

Good luck with your search for jobs - I would be inclined to take a look at your own family - are there any builders, electricians, etc - if so, get some work experience in construction labouring, this will bring you into contact with plumbers and other opportunities. You will also be able to say you have had some experience.

Note Ofsted, say that prior experience essential for apprenticeship:

Work experience essential for preparing next apprentices, says Ofsted | FE Week

Aye, experience equals confidence, but it's hard to find someone who will take you under their wing and 'Teach' you PROPERLY once you have done your first training course. Choose your course provider very carefully, and with all respects keep away from New Career Skills. I done my City & Guilds 6128 and Water Regs with them. Only after your cash, avoid them. I am now looking to do the Aadvanced Plumber Course, possibly with OLCI ?. Does anyone know anything about them at all?. Hoping to then get Gas safe Registered. Thinking stage at the moment ????. Any advice is welcome guys. If you know someone in the Cambridgeshire, Southern Lincolnshire or Eastern Leicestershire way who would let me work with them for a few weeks to help me get my assessments done then that would be much appreciated. I am keen to learn anything else I can pick up on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Confused on what qualifications I need to get started in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock