Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Condensing Boilers - what volume of codensate is discharged in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

When a 25 kw condensing boiler is going full tilt in the winter what volume of condensate water might be discharged per hour ? Obviously an overflow pipe will cope. Anybody any ideas. It could be 20KW or 30 KW I am looking for a ball park volume. Many thanks

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

What's the reason you need to know?
    I don't think many boiler are condensing 100% of the time

3. Rob Foster

customer asked my mate, he didnt know and asked me ,neither did I so I asked you !

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Would say under a litre an hour

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

I think sone boiler have an amount listed in the manual

• Like Like x 1
  6. fixitflav

fixitflav Active Member

For 25kW output, I make it theoretical water production about 2.4 litre/h , but not all of that will condense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rob Foster

Hi fixitflav thanks for that - how did you calculate it may I ask - in awe of you on this one

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Rob, when you had 20 fitters working for you what sort of work were you doing?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Rob Foster

Types of work ..1 Contract ch installation new build, 2 medi-gas contracting, 3 local plumbing/domestic ch installs but in a quite tight area - no adverts just word of mouth so we knew the customer and they us. 1st 2 profit is all down to margins and speed 3 is down to reputation word of mouth. Beware you have to get from one man (you) to over 5/6 very quickly or you end up not earning anything yourself Young men for 1, steady fellas for 3 and anybody who was prepared to work xmas easter and bank holiday for 2

10. fixitflav

fixitflav Active Member

Originally I used a hand calculator and seem to have dropped a cod, it's actually more like 3.8 l/h.
    Calculation below. I used Mathcad, but pleasantly surprised it copied in OK. Don't worry about apparent lack of conversion factors etc, Mathcad takes care of that for you. I've made one or 2 assumptions, as natural gas is not pure methane, but it won't be far out for water produced. Be interesting to compare with maker's figure, to get an idea about what fraction condenses. Come back if you need more.

upload_2018-8-7_19-17-40.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rob Foster

thank you gobsmacked - o_O

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

2.347m3/hr not 2.429

also that figure is a constant 25kw on a heat/system boiler which even at the middle of winter wont run constantly on full

if its a combi that figure will be lower also due to the output

• Like Like x 1
  13. fixitflav

fixitflav Active Member

Depends on the makeup of the gas and the assumed boiler efficiency, but either is near enough in practice.
    OP said "when the boiler is going full tilt".

14. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

Honestly I think I've read closer to 3l/h somewhere. Maybe a vaillant manual.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

28kw vaillant 1.9l/h...
    30kw vaillant 2.5l/h
    God I'm sad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1