Search the forum,

Discuss Condensing Boiler - switching off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to regenerate my megaflo - my wife reports occassional dripping in the tun dish.
Our boiler is in the garage and it operating on frost protection most of the time at the moment. Usually, the system closes down by turning off the boiler and then the pump (I assume to make sure that hot water is distributed around the system, rather than sitting in the boiler). Is it OK (ie not detrimental to the life of the system) just to kill the power to the boiler and the pump so that I can go through the process of regenerating the megaflo?

Thanks

That's the point that wifey and I agree on. We know that it will happen with power cuts, but want to look after the boiler (Worcester greenstar) in the hope that it will see us out.
I presume that turning it off at the time switch won't stop the frost protection

You don't need to stop the boiler to recharge the bubble in the Megaflo !!!
The heating water goes round a coil inside the cylinder it is no effected by what is happening in the heating system.
I didn't want to have the coil full of hot water with no water in the megaflo to absorb it. As I understand it, the regeneration process email ties the megaflo before refilling it. This leaves the coils full of hot water heating air.
I assume that, as long as the controller is set to heating only then no water will get past the motor valve.

The coil in the cylinder is no different really than the pipes of a heating system.
You don’t need to drain the Megaflo fully to replenish the air gap.
Just drain it until the safety valve on cylinder (T&P valve) allows air in when turned.

It can take 15 - 20mins if there is no or little air left in the top.
You are allowed to change wrists :D

If you don't have strong fingers and thick skin it can help to wear a glove for holding the valve open. It's got a fairly strong spring.

If you hate waste as much as me, do it just before someone wants a bath so you can save and use some of the run-off hot water instead of putting it straight down the drain.

Just go ahead turn the incoming mains water off, open a lower hot tap wait until the water stops then open the T&P hold it open until the water stops coming out the tap/T&P or (air going in) , It can take 15 - 20mins if there is no or little air left in the top.
You are allowed to change wrists :D

Sorry, I must have missed your above post and also posted saying same about opening the T&P valve. :)

Reply to Condensing Boiler - switching off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there As you can see from the video below, our pump exploded. The question I have is, this pump is added to a firebird condensing boiler and when we found this mess the boiler and pump were stil operating but the pressure in the boiler was reading 0. Should the pressure switch have kicked in...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
The problem is, my ideal boiler logic heat h15 keeps on burning (igniting flame icon on) all the time, all day long, regardless of the programmed on off schedule for both heating and hot water. when we have the heating turned off from the thermostat programmer (danfoss tp9000ma-si), i.e frosted...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock