Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Condensing boiler problems in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Dave12

Dave12 New Member

Hi, please can you help me solve this.

My condensing boiler (Glow worm Betacom 3 - 30c ) leaks what I think is condensate as it's not clean water.

I think I'm not using my boiler enough?? I live alone and work away so the boiler doesn't get used much. It only happens in summer when the heatings never on and the hot waters only on minimal as I have a electric shower.

I can be away for a week to come home to a puddle that's leaked out of the boiler and when I take the front cover off its all wet inside the casing. I turn the hot water on and the boiler starts rumbling and vibrating for a few seconds then ok. It rumbles an vibrates when I'm home as well but only when demand is low.

In winter it is fine because it's on everyday with the heating. Would switching my boiler off when I'm away stop it leaking?

Thanks for any advice

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

it shouldnt leak full stop even if you dont use it for months at a time

dont remove the cover to the gas appliance please, also dont run the appliance without the cover on

best to get a gas safe engy out to check it over as something isnt right

3. Dave12

Dave12 New Member

Hi thanks for your reply take a look at the picture is leaking from the purposely there hole but why?

IMG_20180603_210404.jpg

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

thats not good it its leaking from there :D as thats the air intake tube

cover back on please

5. Dave12

Dave12 New Member

Covers back on. Thanks for your replies at least I think it's coming from there

6. KingDoey

KingDoey Plumber GSR

Sound like a possible issue with the flue. You need a gas safe engineer to have a look as soon as possible

7. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

Are you sure the condensate outlet to the drain is fitted and draining ok? Also is rainwater coming back down the flue?
    Otherwise could be incorrectly fitted flue or internal blockage both of which would need an engineer to look at.

8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Are you gas safe registered? If not the case should not have been taken off. Please do not do that again.

9. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

You need a gas engineer to check the integrity of the flue and repair the fault once found . kop