Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate - Plastic tray, normal practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Sounds like the pump isn't working. It should be possible to fix it. What type is it - diaphragm, centrifugal, peristaltic or what?

Why is there a pump anyway, is the boiler in a basement ? Centralheatking
Centrifugal pump and doubt it is in a basement as OP said flat with limited room to run pipes that said I still stand by "Incorrectly installed".

The Grundfos and the Saniflo version of these little pumps can be wired in such a way that if the pump fails then it cuts the boiler hence I asked about the installation manual being left on site.

That said, this system should still be totally workable and the pump should run and do its job properly once the issue is found and corrected.
Agree unless the poor little thing is now buggered by pumping against a closed head.

Could be, but most centrifs draw less power at closed valve than at duty point.
Time the OP took it to bits and investigated. We've done all we can IMO.
Wasn't thinking of motor windings damage more of bearing damage and OP hasn't reported back on other findings so bit early to start dismantling it.

I would bet that your boiler benchmark form/certificate has not been filled in with the installer details.

If it has contact gas safe & request an inspection as you have no way of knowing if it has been installed correctly without an independent inspection.

Sounds like your installers may not be all they seem.

I would of been straight around to correct but certainly would not have installed like that as it looks a bit lashed up.

Hope you get sorted,

Andy (Allgoode)

It's never too early to start dismantling! :)
How will he diagnose the problem otherwise?
I would start at the solvent weld joint as advised then pull the hose back (currently runs down and back up - Big no no!) and lay it on the floor with the open end in a bucket.
That way you prove if the problem is the pump or the pipe run and take it from there.

I would start at the solvent weld joint as advised then pull the hose back (currently runs down and back up - Big no no!) and lay it on the floor with the open end in a bucket.
That way you prove if the problem is the pump or the pipe run and take it from there.
I'd have thought the OP would have checked obvious things like blockages and kinked pipes before posting on this forum.
I can't see how it couldn't be fixed, or at least the fault identified, by somebody with a modicum of ingenuity.

I'd have thought the OP would have checked obvious things like blockages and kinked pipes before posting on this forum.
I can't see how it couldn't be fixed, or at least the fault identified, by somebody with a modicum of ingenuity.

Assume nothing, the OP could work for NASA but that doesn`t mean they understand basic plumbing :)
Agree re the fixing or fault being identified however I prefer to see if the pump is working before (Quote) "Taking it to bits". :eek:

Bet they got the holesaw out. And goodie...just because a benchmark hasn't been filled in on paper doesn't mean it hasn't been completed...you still living in 2015 or sooo? Apps these days pal.

Evening,

Sorry for not updating, was away on holiday this week so haven't been around home.

No change in the status of the boiler/pump, or that of the installers returning.

I tried to even out the kinks in the hose but the majority of it is underneath my floor, which is not accessible now - without pulling up carpet, underlay, plywood and floorboards.

I'm also an utter novice with anything plumbing related I'm afraid.

In relation to the pump, if it was working as it should would it still make such a loud noise when the water gets to the top? How long should it take to pump the water out? I haven't really put it to the test since it first started doing it, when it got nowhere after about 20 minutes and the noise was extremely loud.

I suppose I need to know if the system is even working in any respect, even if I'd rather there was never a pump put in to begin with (as I said before, I should've asked more questions about what they were doing but still feel they should have explained more as well).

If they don't come out to sort it, would I have grounds to raise a complaint?

it should empty within 10 to 20 seconds they really are quick so you definately have a blockage you need to get them back
Can't go and tell them that you definitely have a blockage. Suppose they return and blow down the hose and declare it is clear?
From the limited info we have I'm fairly sure it is installed beyond it's capabilities so either the installers return and prove it is working or the OP pays someone else to look at it.

Thanks for the continued feedback. I've sent them another message, if I still get nowhere I'm just going to pay someone else to have a look at it. If they determine that it's not been fitted well/properly then I will escalate my grievance with the original fitters.

The company that put it in have told me they'd provide an alternative free of charge, when I advised what the pump was doing. Strangely they never suggested I should keep this option or even ask me to do any checks, they just said it'll make that loud noise and the only way to sort it will be to keep emptying it. Almost as if they weren't surprised that it was a problem. I would've thought if the install was working as planned they wouldn't have immediately offered a free alternative solution without even suggesting the current setup could be maintained?

That said, they have yet to come out so it could all be false promises.

Rather than getting the pump working I've been told the only other option is to have the condensate going into the stack outside, but at the same time advising that this isn't best practice. Should I be concerned about that?

I feel a tad frustrated as I feel I'm only being given 2 options; 1 of which is to have this pump screaming every few days and having to manually empty water out of it or 2 doing something which we're not even meant to. I'm in a small property with the boiler immediately against the outside wall, it doesn't seem that crazy a set up that there are no good options....

1 of which is to have this pump screaming every few days and having to manually empty water out of it
With this option you have to manually empty it every few days, but you don't have to his pump screaming. Just disconnect its power supply.
but the majority of it is underneath my floor, which is not accessible now
The hose connection on the pump must be accessible. Can't you run a temporary hose from there, if only into a bucket, to check if it's working or not? And if it does, you've identified the problem.

If you contact the manufacturer with the model number they will send you a new hose. Use it to test the pump whilst leaving the original where it is which I still say is routed incorrectly.
The top section housing the pump/ motor must be seated correctly on the tank for it work.

Morning folks, and happy new year!

Apologies for not posting a further update on this one, been a bit busy over the past few weeks.

So, the installer was due to come out to replace the pump and then randomly the current one started working. After a few months of it just whirring into action and running for 30/40 minutes without moving any water, one morning it kicked into action and only stayed on for 10 seconds or so and it actually pumped water out.

Since then it's been doing the same every day or so and actually appears to be working. Have no idea why it suddenly started working, as I'd played around with the hose position before with no change - and we'd done nothing to it just before it started working.

Either way for now it is doing the job its meant to, so for now all good...

Reply to Condensate - Plastic tray, normal practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the attached pix and vids show my issue. I've got a small copper-looking pipe protruding from the wall above my rear tenement bedroom. It's dripping almost...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Boiler is losing pressure, from 1.5 bar to 0 bar in about 4 hours. Have checked all rads and seem to be fine, no water out external prv pipe. If the heat exchanger is faulty what do I need to look for? There is a constant run of water from the condensate pipe when heating on but not sure...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the boiler has started to stay on all the time. My usual engineer took a look at it and advised me to contact the manufacturer. I then had an engineer from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock