Discuss Condensate - Plastic tray, normal practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently had a new boiler fitted into my flat and have some concerns about the solution provided for condensate.

When the job was first scoped out I was told that a pipe would be run outside to deal with the condensate, which would be a challenge because of the property but doable.

I stuck with the condensing water boiler because it was going to be a huge hassle to change to combi in my property, which was confirmed by all of the installation companies that gave me a quote. Didn't seem like any real reason to change either, as long as everything worked and my house had a working heating system!

Anyway, the guys I arranged to do the job came out and although there was a couple of visits required to get things working they got everything fitted and the boiler was working perfectly. I noticed there were no pipes going outside, so I did ask what happened to them. I was told at this point that they'd found an alternative solution that meant they didn't need to. I probably should have asked more questions, however I know nothing about boilers so, possibly naively, just accepted what I was told.

However, after a couple of days the system started making a dreadful sound, right underneath the boiler itself, and it just wouldn't stop. I had a look at where the sound was coming from and it was a small contraption inside a plastic box which was filled with water. I took a video and messaged the installer, who said that I just had to remove the plastic box and empty the water. So I did this, but a few days later it just filled up again and the same sound returned. I was then told that I would have to keep changing the box when it fills up with water. At this point I was a bit miffed. Was this normal? I had to yank the contraption thingy (I don't know what it is, you might have guessed) out of the plastic box, pulling some pipes out as well, with condensate dripping on the floor in the process, and take the plastic box and pour the water down the toilet. I'd never heard of anything like it.

Fast forward about 6 weeks and I'm going through this process every 2 days or so, sometimes daily if we are home and have the heating on a lot. I have contacted the fitting company and they have said they'll book someone to come and provide an alternative solution, but that they informed me that there isn't really a viable alternative that follows proper procedure.

My concern here is I feel like I shouldn't be changing condensate manually every couple of days and it just seems like a ludicrous process and I can't quite believe that it was ever fitted this way, without even notifying me at the time that this would be the case. The guys were really helpful and had to deal with a lot of obstacles when fitting the new boiler, which I really appreciated and I feel slightly guilty about raising concerns on a forum. But the honest truth is I know very little about boilers and I just wanted to check if I'm being unreasonable. Maybe it's a normal solution to have a plastic box that the condensate fills up into and then needs changed?

So at this point I'm just looking for some feedback on my situation and whether it all sounds standard or not. As I mentioned, the guys I got in were really helpful on the whole and to be fair they have said they'll come out at some point to look at changing the current set up when it comes to condensate. I'm just a little concerned about what's in place and having spent £2,500 on a new boiler I'd like to know it's all been fitted properly!

Obviously something wrong.
Take some pics and find out where the condensate drain runs to.

You shouldn't leave an open condensate drain inside your house.

No, you should not have to empty a condensate collector. I too am wondering if it's a pump to get the condensate to a higher drain somewhere else - that could explain the noise. But it should be automatic.

On an aside, personally I think you are better off not running it outside as there are no end of problems each winter with such drains freezing, though some (many?) modern boilers to have siphonic emptying to mitigate that.

Any pics ?

I recently had a new boiler fitted into my flat and have some concerns about the solution provided for condensate.

When the job was first scoped out I was told that a pipe would be run outside to deal with the condensate, which would be a challenge because of the property but doable.

I stuck with the condensing water boiler because it was going to be a huge hassle to change to combi in my property, which was confirmed by all of the installation companies that gave me a quote. Didn't seem like any real reason to change either, as long as everything worked and my house had a working heating system!

Anyway, the guys I arranged to do the job came out and although there was a couple of visits required to get things working they got everything fitted and the boiler was working perfectly. I noticed there were no pipes going outside, so I did ask what happened to them. I was told at this point that they'd found an alternative solution that meant they didn't need to. I probably should have asked more questions, however I know nothing about boilers so, possibly naively, just accepted what I was told.

However, after a couple of days the system started making a dreadful sound, right underneath the boiler itself, and it just wouldn't stop. I had a look at where the sound was coming from and it was a small contraption inside a plastic box which was filled with water. I took a video and messaged the installer, who said that I just had to remove the plastic box and empty the water. So I did this, but a few days later it just filled up again and the same sound returned. I was then told that I would have to keep changing the box when it fills up with water. At this point I was a bit miffed. Was this normal? I had to yank the contraption thingy (I don't know what it is, you might have guessed) out of the plastic box, pulling some pipes out as well, with condensate dripping on the floor in the process, and take the plastic box and pour the water down the toilet. I'd never heard of anything like it.

Fast forward about 6 weeks and I'm going through this process every 2 days or so, sometimes daily if we are home and have the heating on a lot. I have contacted the fitting company and they have said they'll book someone to come and provide an alternative solution, but that they informed me that there isn't really a viable alternative that follows proper procedure.

My concern here is I feel like I shouldn't be changing condensate manually every couple of days and it just seems like a ludicrous process and I can't quite believe that it was ever fitted this way, without even notifying me at the time that this would be the case. The guys were really helpful and had to deal with a lot of obstacles when fitting the new boiler, which I really appreciated and I feel slightly guilty about raising concerns on a forum. But the honest truth is I know very little about boilers and I just wanted to check if I'm being unreasonable. Maybe it's a normal solution to have a plastic box that the condensate fills up into and then needs changed?

So at this point I'm just looking for some feedback on my situation and whether it all sounds standard or not. As I mentioned, the guys I got in were really helpful on the whole and to be fair they have said they'll come out at some point to look at changing the current set up when it comes to condensate. I'm just a little concerned about what's in place and having spent £2,500 on a new boiler I'd like to know it's all been fitted properly!
This is quite simply not right op has paid for a proper job, whatever the explanation it does not work and is still within guarantee and subject to gas and building regulations let alone consumer rights . Very poor Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Yes, this is exactly what it is!

The bottom part fills with the excess water and when it gets to the top, every 1-2 days, it starts screaming/whirring loudly and I have to empty before it stops and the system returns to normal.
It's trying to pump the water away
It should stop after a few seconds
Where does the clear hose pipe coming from it go?

It's trying to pump the water away
It should stop after a few seconds
Where does the clear hose pipe coming from it go?

It definitely doesn't stop that quickly, first time it happened it went on for at least 20 minutes - even when I shut the whole system down it was still going crazy. When I disconnect the top part to empty the tray it also sometimes sounds like it's going to explode, but it's a bit fiddly as I have to take that out, as well as the pipes, and squeeze it out of the corner of the cupboard that it's in without spilling the water everywhere.

I'm not at home just now so can't remember exactly where each pipe goes, but I know there is a clear one that comes from the water tank itself, under the floor and goes into the pump directly and then there is also a more solid pipe that comes in from the boiler itself, above the pump. I can confirm more precise details later.

The water certainly doesn't seem to go anywhere though, and when I contacted the fitter he confirmed I'd have to empty the tray/pump when it fills up.

It definitely doesn't stop that quickly, first time it happened it went on for at least 20 minutes - even when I shut the whole system down it was still going crazy. When I disconnect the top part to empty the tray it also sometimes sounds like it's going to explode, but it's a bit fiddly as I have to take that out, as well as the pipes, and squeeze it out of the corner of the cupboard that it's in without spilling the water everywhere.

I'm not at home just now so can't remember exactly where each pipe goes, but I know there is a clear one that comes from the water tank itself, under the floor and goes into the pump directly and then there is also a more solid pipe that comes in from the boiler itself, above the pump. I can confirm more precise details later.

The water certainly doesn't seem to go anywhere though, and when I contacted the fitter he confirmed I'd have to empty the tray/pump when it fills up.
That is plain stupid, a 30kw condensing boiler running in cold weather will produce up to 2 litres of condensate every 24 hours so the boiler has to be nannied ....I would state that the installation is not fit for purpose. What boiler is it ? What are the recommended condensate arrangements, unless this boiler comes from noddyland this set up will not be in the fitting orvopetating instructions ...get installer back, report the outfit if no dice, and get it sorted by a professional installer Rob Foster aka centralheatking

You might have to empty the tray IF IT FILLS up ie if the outside pipe freezes up on odd very cold nights NOT every day
1 or 2 x you are being suckered Chking

My bet is what ever wastepipe it's bossed into hasn't had a hole cut into it for the water to discharge...that is if the pumps been wired up and the water not just backing up into the burner causing the noise.

Clear plastic pipe maybe 8-10mm is outlet from pump so should go somewhere!
Should go up whilst pipe is close to pump and shouldn't go under floor as I believe you said, pump has a maximum lift capacity.

My bet is what ever wastepipe it's bossed into hasn't had a hole cut into it for the water to discharge...that is if the pumps been wired up and the water not just backing up into the burner causing the noise.
Sounds as if it is wired but incorrectly.

It’s a new installation, it does not work properly no one can touch it until installer fixes it or goes off down the road. Op must get them back to rectify directly . Chking

As requested, here are some photos of the setup.

So, first image shows the pump - with the plastic part that I have to empty every couple of days.

Second image shows where the plastic pipe goes under the floor, which then goes all the way to the water tank itself - I've shown where it comes back up in picture 4.

Picture 3 is just the boiler itself.

There isn't anything that leads outside in terms of the pipes, as mentioned before the harder white one goes up from the pump and into the boiler and the clear one leads back to the water tank.

IMG_20181120_184829.jpg

IMG_20181120_184854.jpg

IMG_20181120_184835.jpg

IMG_20181121_103841.jpg

Is the clear hose squashed behind the pipe in picture 2?
We can help you out on here but you need to get the installer back as there is something not right with the condensate pump

Picture 2 the clear , pump discharge pipe, is squashed and is restricting the flow
It needs fixing in brackets otherwise it'll get damaged and start leaking.
For a temp fix try jamming some cardboard behind the vertical pipe to wided the gap and ease the clear pipe.

That pump can move 500ltrs per hr, a few drops of condensate shouldn't be a problem;
Altech Condensate Pump - Pumps

There should be a copper pipe from the boiler, Pressure relief discharge, that goes outside maybe, from the boiler?

Last edited:
As requested, here are some photos of the setup.

So, first image shows the pump - with the plastic part that I have to empty every couple of days.

Second image shows where the plastic pipe goes under the floor, which then goes all the way to the water tank itself - I've shown where it comes back up in picture 4.

Picture 3 is just the boiler itself.

There isn't anything that leads outside in terms of the pipes, as mentioned before the harder white one goes up from the pump and into the boiler and the clear one leads back to the water tank.

View attachment 35572

View attachment 35573

View attachment 35574

View attachment 35575
What a dreadfull installation, using home brew plastic tube with no clips and bodged up , a 5 year old could do better . How the hell did you decide to pay them !....chocklate money. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

What a dreadfull installation, using home brew plastic tube with no clips and bodged up , a 5 year old could do better . How the hell did you decide to pay them !..chocklate money. Rob Foster aka centralheatking
The clear hose come with the pump

Is the clear hose squashed behind the pipe in picture 2?
We can help you out on here but you need to get the installer back as there is something not right with the condensate pump

I've edged the clear hose up and around the pipe, so it's not squashed anymore.

Should this make some difference?

The installation looks poor, but in principle it should work. Presumably your last pic shows where it's bossed into a sink or similar drain. Maybe matthias's #15 is right, no hole has been cut in the pipe. If so, easy enough to correct. If the pump is wired correctly and the hose isn't kinked, I don't see a problem. Get them back to sort it!

Only have to see the different water levels in the hose to see a problem, might even be the only problem!
Is there a joint in the hose or is it lens/ light trickery?

Op, don't suppose they left the installation guide behind did they?

Can it be arranged so that the clear hose goes vertically up and then flows to a drain point under gravity? I always think these work better like that, lift first. A bit like saniflo - ask RPM!

Having moved the host so it wasn't kinked, there has been little change in the issues unfortunately.

The pump still fills up within about 48 hours and has to be emptied as it starts whirring out loudly and not working properly.

I've not heard back from the installers, I do feel they are stalling quite a bit now - I've been asking them to come out for a number of weeks now.

I asked what the alternative is to having to keep changing the pump and I've been told all they can do is put the condensate into the stack outside, but they aren't supposed to do that. Surely my only 2 options can't be to change water from the pump every 2 days forevermore or to improperly have it going into the stack outside...?

Doesn't sound like the installers will be back tbh. Time to take matters into your own hands so check out some of the suggestions given earlier or start by disconnecting the hose from the boss and running it in to a bucket to see if the pump is even discharging.

Having moved the host so it wasn't kinked, there has been little change in the issues unfortunately.

The pump still fills up within about 48 hours and has to be emptied as it starts whirring out loudly and not working properly.

I've not heard back from the installers, I do feel they are stalling quite a bit now - I've been asking them to come out for a number of weeks now.

I asked what the alternative is to having to keep changing the pump and I've been told all they can do is put the condensate into the stack outside, but they aren't supposed to do that. Surely my only 2 options can't be to change water from the pump every 2 days forevermore or to improperly have it going into the stack outside...?
Sounds like the pump isn't working. It should be possible to fix it. What type is it - diaphragm, centrifugal, peristaltic or what?

Why is there a pump anyway, is the boiler in a basement ? Centralheatking
Without trawling through all the posts again, I assume it's because the condensate outlet on the boiler is below the lowest convenient drain point.
Also noticed OP had been thinking of getting a combi but decided against. The condensate drain issue would be the same with that.

Reply to Condensate - Plastic tray, normal practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back