Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate Pipe Blockages in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
I am looking into the frequency, causes and general opinions about condensate pipe blockages from Ice, Leaves and heavy rain. Any opinions or anecdotes gratefull received. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Yep does happen and will happen again this year anything under 11/4",3m long unlagged and run externally will freeze, condense pipe work connected into a rainwater down pipe then into a soakway, which should absorb the rain water and return it to the water table becomes fully flooded or blocked allowing rain water to back up into the boiler heat exchanger.
Aluminium heat exchangers deposit aluminium oxide into the boiler sump then into the condense pipework so blocking it solid if not serviced and the sump cleaned and flushed through regularly not really had a problem with leaves other than blocking a open drain . Cheers kop

I am looking into the frequency, causes and general opinions about condensate pipe blockages from Ice, Leaves and heavy rain. Any opinions or anecdotes gratefull received. Rob Foster aka centralheatking
My opinion is that if the thing is installed correctly it should be fine. There is always a possibility of anything freezing in extreme conditions of course and when we have a situation whereby the temperature barely rises above freezing point over a number of consecutive days, even 32 mm pipes can freeze, although I do think the termination point has a strong bearing.

Reply to Condensate Pipe Blockages in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the cast iron pipe. The gunk is in the photo I've attached. The pipe work is also attached(it's disconnected as we cleared the u bend to clear it out)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no blockage. Used several different drain cleaners over time but smell returns (not always but often enough to be annoying). Seems to coincide with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock