Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate into rain water pipe...YAY or NAY?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
and just to put a spanner into the works....

unless there is already one there and you are renewing it,

you can no longer install a hopper........

as i was told by a b.c inspector recently, its against building regs?.
Do any of us know the regs lol. They change to much.

i dont see many of them done the way of figure 5 anyway, they are all run into pip horizontally with a run no insulation and siliconed

I always use to terminate it into a Mcalpine tee if in the kitchen now i try use clamp1gr/wh . But like i have said i have terminated about 4/5 into downpipes this year .

it will freeze up maybe,get the kettle on or hairdryer out thankfully most dont do what i said in a earlier post

i dont see many of them done the way of figure 5 anyway, they are all run into pip horizontally with a run no insulation and siliconed
Never done it that way, always buy the correct fitting, maybe I should try it.

ooooh nasty ,i hate doing re sits its just so expensive and not conducive to earning money
I always liked doing it in the past, time off work and BG paid, paying for myself this time....

I personnally would first fit the acidic neutraliser if practically possible in the boiler location, then the ph value would be nil then run condense into rainwater pipe, i once had a customer who was concerned that the acidic condense would pollute the local river & harm the fishes, have fun.

I personnally would first fit the acidic neutraliser if practically possible in the boiler location, then the ph value would be nil then run condense into rainwater pipe, i once had a customer who was concerned that the acidic condense would pollute the local river & harm the fishes, have fun.
Never seen one, anybody else fitted them ?

Do any of us know the regs lol. They change to much.
i know a bloke called reg?.

where you been allen?. go round to headingley and give my daughter a clip around the ear, tell her to pull her socks up and get her work done.lol.

i seen em at a trade show, its a sock filled with salts that remove the acidity. has the added bonus that it lowers the freezing temp of the discharge. by a degree or 2. but the sock liner has to be changed yearly........(assuming of course that the rads are set up correctly and the boiler does actually kick into condensing mode) lol

last week i saw a condensate cut off flush with wall, trickling down onto flat roof extension, eating away at the flat roof

I am no expert but I had a new Worcester Greenstar 12Ri gas boiler installed 20 months ago. The installation engineer asked me where the soakaway was? I had no idea but there is a waste drain that goes through the house with a plastic threaded cap front and back of the house. That would have entailed him having to run condensate pipework to front drain under porch or back under decking. He said the other alternative according to the fitting instructions was a pot with neutralising material in it (pot with holes in) I checked installation manual and it did offer that as an alternative so I agreed! Not sure how often the material in and around the pot have to be checked or changed tho? I guess at regular services?

i say we go back to the realy green solution cast iron boilers that last 30 years and hardly ever need mending and dont kick out acid water or we go all electric and put up a wind mill on every street corner

I don't know ! condensate drains, condensate pumps, trace heating, acidic neutralizers..........all to save approximately 13% in efficiency over the old Band D boilers ! & that is if its all working to optimum efficiency all the time which is highly unlikely unless the system is a low temperature underfloor system or similar.
Can't help thinking that the boiler manufacturers saw the ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ signs & managed to hoodwink "two jags" into all this under the guise of "protecting the environment".

Its all a bit "Emperors new clothes" for me I'm afraid :(

acid my bum,

ever seen a pig 'dog' pee on the lawn?.

2 weeks later all the grass is burnt.

tell me the condensates more acidic as this and if not i will stop my missus using the bog in order to save the environment....

Yeah you can put it in a limestone soakaway, think it need to be about 500-600mm away from the house. Different manufacturers may vary on distance, just remember the limestone chippings need changing every year.

You can definitely put it into a rainwater pipe if it leads to a combined drainage system, if the area has a seperate drainage system for rainwater and waste water then you can.
limestone chippings need changed every year, never heard of this , anyone know of this

Condensate is the same PH value as tomato ketchup.
Does this mean I cannot rinse my plate in the sink anymore?

dont know?. but given me a good idea for cleaning the brass and copper for the scrappy.lol.

The boss and I are installing a boiler tomorrow, and to be honest, the only place to install the condensate is into the rain water pipe. Is this allowed?

I can not see any where that says no.

Also, is there a boss for this type of thing, or do you just cut and seal with silicone?

This is my home work from the governor.

Cheers fellers

My property has been receiving water/fluids from the cellar sump of next door. They have been draining their condensate hose from two commercial boilers into what they thought was a Victorian soak way. In fact it was ending on my property and within 2 meters of the back corner of my house. I am totally reliant upon the condensate being neutralized and that is reliant upon annual maintenance. Failure to deal with the condensate in the correct manner will result in my newish house needing underpinning within 3 years.

Needless to say, the help of the local councils drainage engineer and building control inspectorate has been sought and work is in progress.

I know where there is a condensate that runs across a wall at a heck of an angle and drops onto a sloping roof above a bay window and ultimately discharges into a rhone gutter!
It is on the front face of the building!
I will try to get a picture the next time I am passing.

I know where there is a condensate that runs across a wall at a heck of an angle and drops onto a sloping roof above a bay window and ultimately discharges into a rhone gutter!
It is on the front face of the building!
I will try to get a picture the next time I am passing.

Can someone quote the Gas Safety reference number and/or the Building Regulations number realting to the safe disposal of flue and boiler condensate from commercial premises/boilers.

whats the boilers instructions state?

for building regs google it and download them.

a good reasoin for not siliconing any plastic pipe is the silcon doesnt stick to it after a week it all peels of

Hi Jonathan, you'll need to find out the make of the boilers.
I would be deeply amazed if your house disappeared into a 30ft deep hole caused by said condensate.

Lol this is what cracks me up about this game one person says yay another says nay , end of day a bit of acidic water going down a rainwater drain is not end of world better off that than a gas leak !!!

It cracks me up too, if it was so toxic why don't the flue and the inside of the boiler fall to bits, when it's diluted 5 billion to one who the hell cares, we are going nanny state, I was fishing in our local river last year and catching loads of trout, I noticed toilet paper coming out of an outflow from a new estate into the river, where does that come in the round of things. BTW don't eat the trout, put them back just in case a few GSR have put the condense in as well. How do you guys know if the drainage system is combined or not....

It cracks me up too, if it was so toxic why don't the flue and the inside of the boiler fall to bits, when it's diluted 5 billion to one who the hell cares, we are going nanny state, I was fishing in our local river last year and catching loads of trout, I noticed toilet paper coming out of an outflow from a new estate into the river, where does that come in the round of things. BTW don't eat the trout, put them back just in case a few GSR have put the condense in as well. How do you guys know if the drainage system is combined or not....

Ally flues and ally heat exchangers do. Copper does and so will boiler casing it takes about 2 years to get through copper

Gasman,

What the life of a boiler then about two years, mine BosterWosh has been on the wall for the last 5 years and its still OK

Yes if we run into rain water then we fit a salamander condensafe+ ... Only around ÂŁ30 and keeps everyone happy

I do exactly the same and then put a branch in the down pipe and a 45 and drop the condensate in 32mm into that.

Oh for gods sake as someone who has just had a brand new boiler installed and that boiler has gone kaput because of this issue water back fill into boiler I will tell you why plumbers do this because it's easy and quick, then they are off hoping it down t back up too quickly . Oh for a plumber who takes into account this risk and installs correctly to save thier customers boiler but the they just say it's guaranteed call the manufacturer and the manufacturer says it's the plumbers fault arghh arghh you might guess me and my family are pretty upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate into rain water pipe...YAY or NAY?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Our boiler is in the loft and I encountered a leak in a roof above our side extension store room which has transpired to be from the boiler condensate pipe. It was cracked at an elbow so the plumber we use has replaced this and hopefully all will be well with that joint. This later prompted me...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it should be but I'm fitting an upgraded external pipe setup to include insulation. The inner 22mm pipe mates with the 32mm pipe just inside the house. It...
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there has been accumulation of mold on the walls, due to about 6" of standing water in the bottom of the pit. The air also smells bad and is somewhat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock