Discuss Condensate into gutters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyBongo

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is this ok to run condensate this way, seen it done on a few houses. Im fitting a job soon where i could take it into a soakaway, but running it into the gutters would be a much a shorter route. MI's dont say anything about it

It's not allowed. I showed a gas safe inspector 2 jobs on my inspection where both ran into the guttering and its not an acceptable way of terminating although even he said it wasnt very clear in the books and they had to seek clarification. If it goes into the down pipe you need to make sure it terminates below the grating aswell for it to conform.

against building control and most mi,s IT CAN FREEZE,cant believe people are installing/considering doing them like this and to be honest a crap way of removing the condensate

no,

its even worse when you see them just terminated over a nice slate roof.

Can not believe really why any new builds taking the condensate outside,think all new builds should be made to run and terminate condensate pipe work internally,no reason why not

imho

totally agree with puddle ,i always try to find a way to terminate internally its just common sense and being a good plumber

Not saying its ideal but if your options are limited, you can terminate into a combined rainwater to soil drainage hopper. Not directly into the gutters.
I meant to mention 'hopper' in my last post.

Tend to disagree a bit here. Did a job recently where I ran to a gutter and got the termination above the down pipe on a combined (cast) system. Alternative was a Soakaway, I though it was a better option so ran in 40mm. the house was an awkward shape so I was able to run out the eaves along a wall about two feet and a swept elbow to above the down pipe. Nothing says you can't but I would rather run 10 meters inside than even a couple of meters outside if possible.

Seen a few shockers in my time including on several occasions condensate pipe being treated like overflows, sticking out walls going nowhere and pumped out onto roofs.

done a few into a gutter, but have terminated them straight above the outlet tee so its straight down the downpipe. would not just stick it in the gutter, definitely got to be a combined waste.

one thing thats always puzzled me with the routing of condensates is how far do we have to go to look for cast iron .An example would be your working in a flat the waste under the sink is plastic disapearing into the wall you tee into it for the condensate but unkown to you the waste stack is cast very common in ex council flats and often no simple access to check as original access panels are often lost behind fitted kitchen etc

Are they approved or not? I didnt think they were, but could be wrong.

as long as the condense doesnt connect directly to a cast iron stack it shouldnt be a problem. connecting via plastic sink waste means its regularly being flushed through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate into gutters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi. Was looking for a house on sale the other day and just wanted something confirmed to me... Was there ever a time when a condensing boiler...
Replies
Views
D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock