Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss CONCERN AROUND PLUMBING METHOD in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Danny Smith

Danny Smith New Member

Hi, my bathroom fitters installed this plastic pipe as a feed to the new radiator, i'm slight concerned because it is bent over the wooden beam and at a strange angle. We're having a tiled floor so i'd hate for a leak and have to rip up the tiles. Can anyone advise whether this should be cause for concern?

Thanks,

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 17.14.15.png

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 17.14.27.png

2. Brambles

Brambles Active Member

That is just poor workmanship. It may not leak, but if it was my bathroom I would want it properly aligned so that there is no strain on the “o” ring speed-fit style joints.

Obviously there is the risk that some one nails through the pipe if the floorboard is not clearly marked when it is reinstalled

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Danny Smith

Danny Smith New Member

Thank you Brambles. Am i within my rights to ask him to change it? I assume the correct method would be to drill through the beam and put a straight piece in?

4. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

He may not change it, but would express your concerns to them. I don’t see any reason why copper was not used when it has been on the other pipe? This would be able to overcome the issue, imo.

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I wouldn’t like that under my floor , especially if its tiled . The pipe is fine but both elbows will be stressed and knowing them things they may decide to unscrew themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Danny Smith

Danny Smith New Member

The other pipe is copper because it was already there from the old radiator, it’s only the fact that the new radiator isn’t as wide that they’ve had to put that plastic piece in. Hopefully they will change it if I ask nicely!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CBW1982

Hopefully :)

8. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber Top Contributor!!

Just ask them to do it in copper, a nice little set and they could still use the plastic elbows if there was some reason not to solder - which there isn’t...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Danny Smith

Danny Smith New Member

Thank you all, glad I found this forum!

• Like Like x 1
  10. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

its fairly standard for plastic piping. not pretty but should be fine

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Shouldn’t really have fittings under floor where they will be inaccessible. I would insist on soldered on both sides

• Like Like x 1
  12. quality

quality Plumber GSR

I would not use pushfit under a tiled floor but thats my preference. Its perfectly normal though

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scott_1979

Scott_1979 GSR

Most of you would hate new builds then. Plastic fittings are perfectly acceptable under floors and that pipe work is fine imo.

Yes copper is more accepted as the better method but they haven’t done anything ‘wrong’ here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. CBW1982

The pipe does look strained though,IMO.

15. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

Seen many many badly soldered joints weeping too, push fit is ok to use, looks like your man has taken advantage of a notch in the joist to slot the plastic into and it’s a tad too close to the top for the bulky pushfit elbows.

• Like Like x 1