Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Concealed connection - tape or thread sealant in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Alex200274

Alex200274 New Member

Hi

I have a Grohe concealed shower valve I’m in installing and the casing it has 1/2 inch BSP-P female threads built into the box. Therefore I need to attach 1/2 inch BSP male to 15mm fittings to allow me to connect up the pipes.

As I will be tiling over I wanted to ensure the best libg term water tight connection between the female to male threads - is PTFE tape ok on its own or should I use some sort of thread sealant instead - if so any advice on product. When googling I have seen quite a few US forums suggesting you need to use both, think that’s what has thrown me.

I have currently used tape but wanted to double check before proceeding

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Alex

2. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

Not sure I completely understand what connections you are trying to make, but if you are trying to seal on threads I'd use Loctite 55 only. Rough the male threads up very slightly with a file, wrap the Loctite 55 cord round in the right direction (clockwise looking at the end of the thread onto which the female fitting will screw) and tighten up. Use enough cord to give a tight fit. I'd suggest starting with about 10 wraps. You wrap it around and across the peaks of the threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above loctite 55 or 577

Test before you fill in tho / tile

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Whatever you use, pressure test before tiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1