Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Commercial waste pipe. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. SJB060685

SJB060685 Top Contributor!!

Hi guys.

As some of you here know I don’t do plumbing work, 99% of my knowledge lies within oil fired heating so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I had to attend a commercial property today (close friends family run business). Complaint was wash basin wasn’t draining water away, easy enough, a blockage somewhere. There were no inspection ports for de-blocking etc etc on a 25m ish run and after making a couple cuts into waste pipe we found that the 40mm was severely blocked with grease and fat in several places. Anyway we’ve cleared what we can and had to redo some pipework as a couple swept tees had broken which we didn’t discover till half way through.

My question is this, as it’s a commercial property what are the minimum waste sizes required for removal of water? In a house you have your standard 32mm and 40mm, this 25m run was 40mm and picked up several other waste connections along the way before discharging outside. With the amount of crap we found inside these pipes it made me think that larger waste pipes would not only get rid of the water quicker but more importantly not block up so quick. There was also a unit inline which slowly administered an anti grease forming solution, however this is clearly having no affect.

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is the grease trap in the correct place and has it been serviced? Many aren`t on both points.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Was gonna say if there is no fat trap fit one

• Like Like x 2
  5. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SJB060685

Where should this grease trap be installed. I don’t think there was one honestly. The whole run was about 30-40m with 7 wastes connecting and no sign of anything like that before it terminated outside.

7. rpm

C`mon, read your words out loud, no point in putting it at the end of the pipe run is there, might even need more than one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SJB060685

Lol, I didn’t think that through properly before talking did I. I’ve had a look at the PDF and there is nothing like that on the system at all. You’re right they probably need at least two based on what I saw today.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

depends on whats being fed into it them two of them big sinks (the normal washing / prep sinks) normally 50mm for 5 of them 110mm i would want

but the grease needs to be sorted else nothing will win eg grease trap on one or two and just use them two for grease only

• Like Like x 1
  10. SJB060685

Thanks for the useful and funny replies. Clearly plumbing is not my area of expertise lol. There is no grease traps installed anywhere and there’s one large prep sink, three wash basins and three washing machines.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

ideally 110mm but you will get some putting it in 50mm its the length thats the issue

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rpm

If wash basin as in washing hands then where is the grease coming from as it shouldn`t be from the prep sink. Dishwashers anywhere?

• Like Like x 1
  13. SJB060685

This is what I was wondering rpm, the majority of fat was in a place only one of the wash basins was discharging through.

14. rpm

There was a large cafe in Oxford who had problems with grease building up over time so they had a connection at the start of the outlet pipe where once a month they hooked up a pressure jet washer and cleaned the pipe out because there was no room to install a grease trap. Crude but effective.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. SJB060685

Unfortunately there isn’t really enough room to install a grease trap, despite the need. I will report back to him with all this information. Creating a cleaning port might be the only option for now