Search the forum,

Discuss Combi in Roof Space ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

im thinking of replacing my old boiler with a combi in the loft of my bungalow over the bathroom which uses most hot water, but it’s not near a wall, can they be mounted on a wooden frame ?

im thinking of replacing my old boiler with a combi in the loft of my bungalow over the bathroom which uses most hot water, but it’s not near a wall, can they be mounted on a wooden frame ?

Yes but it HAS TO BE SUBSTANTIAL.

It's not the best but it can be done

Needs

The loft boarding
A hardwired loft light
A loft ladder
A loft 13amp socket is a plus

The frame would be fixed to the roof supports, why wouldn’t you fit it there ?
A lot of boilers must have been fitted in a loft ?

No it wants building from the loft floor over a wall, (stud or masonry ), and then fastening to the trusses . My good pal Mr Kopsta doesn’t like boilers in lofts lol
Can you get it on a gable end ? , stronger and easier flue .

and, my loft is boarded, it has lighting and a 240v supply for sockets, a filling loop is already on my list, what’s a remote filling loop ?
What frost protection do I need ?

Your dead right there town , I refuse to fit em why would you put a gas fired boiler to heat your home in the coldest harshest environment I could write a book why not to do it but will end it there my advice dont do it . Kop

No it wants building from the loft floor over a wall, (stud or masonry ), and then fastening to the trusses . My good pal Mr Kopsta doesn’t like boilers in lofts lol
Can you get it on a gable end ? , stronger and easier flue .

I can build it up over a block internal wall, the gable end nearest the gas meter is an option, but I’m just trying for the ideal boiler position.

Your dead right there town , I refuse to fit em why would you put a gas fired boiler to heat your home in the coldest harshest environment I could write a book why not to do it but will end it there my advice dont do it . Kop
My insulated heating 22mm ring main has been up there for years, as they mostly are in bungalows, and boiler cabinets are insulated, probably even better now than my current 11 year old boiler ?

First concern for an ideal boiler location is external wall for flueing. An extra few metres of 15mm hot pipework is not a big issue in the scheme of things.

I better mention it now before you fall out with me , I have just bought a new house and I am considering putting the boiler in the roof space lol

First concern for an ideal boiler location is external wall for flueing. An extra few metres of 15mm hot pipework is not a big issue in the scheme of things.
Think your right Simon, flue, mounting, and a shorter gas pipe with the boiler mounted on a gable in my case, only draw back would be more difficult access, but with lights already in place, and a little more boarding in the loft, would be needed, and usually, access to a well maintained boiler is only needed, once, maybe twice per year ?

As long as you have a pressure gauge and filling loop downstairs so you don't need to be up in the loft to check it.

As long as you have a pressure gauge and filling loop downstairs so you don't need to be up in the loft to check it.
That will be downstairs, in the large airing cupboard, where the HW cylinder is now, and where the space will be gained, so, is a remote filling loop, just two valves and a system pressure gauge
?

I better mention it now before you fall out with me , I have just bought a new house and I am considering putting the boiler in the roof space lol
We won't fall out bud your choice op seems to have his made his mind up as Well so good luck with that one just make sure your house insurance is up to date. Kop

and, my loft is boarded, it has lighting and a 240v supply for sockets, a filling loop is already on my list, what’s a remote filling loop ?
What frost protection do I need ?
Remote filling loop on ground floor with a repeater pressure gauge to avoid climbing in loft to fill up every few months. Honeywell frost star to call boiler in when it’s gets cold up there and stop boiler freezing up. Access is essential under building regs for tired gas fitters. No reason why you should not bang a boiler in roof. Some boilers can be hung on outside of building in a weather proof box Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Sorry Rob have to disagree with you bud, can't see why anyone would want a gas boiler in a loft it's freezing cold in the winter , boiling hot in the summer it will effect pcbs wiring and components in the boiler , access is awkward a engineers has to access the boiler through a hatch via a loft ladder try and get your tools up and down there pain in the butt mate there's a high risk of damage and injury , many manufacturers won't allow their engineers to go in lofts for maintenance and breakdowns for this reason , you can't see what the boiler is doing if it fails what fault code is showing ? turn it up and down, condense will freeze up in the winter, get a leak then theres a risk of scalding and flooding your home the list goes on mate permanent walkway , fixed loft ladder, permanet lighting , a boiler guard co alarm , fire alarm. There is always another option. Kop

Sorry Rob have to disagree with you bud, can't see why anyone would want a gas boiler in a loft it's freezing cold in the winter , boiling hot in the summer it will effect pcbs wiring and components in the boiler , access is awkward a engineers has to access the boiler through a hatch via a loft ladder try and get your tools up and down there pain in the butt mate there's a high risk of damage and injury , many manufacturers won't allow their engineers to go in lofts for maintenance and breakdowns for this reason , you can't see what the boiler is doing if it fails what fault code is showing ? turn it up and down, condense will freeze up in the winter, get a leak then theres a risk of scalding and flooding your home the list goes on mate permanent walkway , fixed loft ladder, permanet lighting , a boiler guard co alarm , fire alarm. There is always another option. Kop
I personally would not but a boiler in the roof. However in a gaff with restricted wall space then it is an option which can be considered. I put my 100ff in the garage adjacent and connected to my main building, neve again cause of cold winters. It does not matter now cause my house is being demolished in new year , we found out Friday pm

Sounds like you already have a traditional system, I personally would upgrade your existing system rather than replace with an inferior combi
Space is not only the final frontier but an increasingly diminishing asset in modern homes hence combis, no tank no cylinder each system has its right place. The idea is to match needs and availability in my opinion Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I live on an estate where boilers in the attic are common place. They don’t seem to give many problems. Just make sure all pipes are lagged and that you use a wireless time and temperature control

Defo not the best place for a boiler, but it can be done if necessary, to insure a good relationship with your engineer 1. Install a quality fixed loft ladder 2. Install fixed floorboards in the loft 3. Install a good quality light near the boiler without creating shadow ( fitting a 13amp socket outlet will really impress him or her 4. VERY IMPORTANT keep area between loft access and all around boiler clear permanently so that the engineer dosent have to move your Christmas tree 5. Have steaming hot cup of coffee ready for engineer when he/she have got set up in cold loft (sticky bun will move your relationship to new heights, well, loft height ). You will be warm again in no time.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

Defo not the best place for a boiler, but it can be done if necessary, to insure a good relationship with your engineer 1. Install a quality fixed loft ladder 2. Install fixed floorboards in the loft 3. Install a good quality light near the boiler without creating shadow ( fitting a 13amp socket outlet will really impress him or her 4. VERY IMPORTANT keep area between loft access and all around boiler clear permanently so that the engineer dosent have to move your Christmas tree 5. Have steaming hot cup of coffee ready for engineer when he/she have got set up in cold loft (sticky bun will move your relationship to new heights, well, loft height ). You will be warm again in no time.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
‘I’m a dreamer’ Supertramp ...
Breakfast in America popular band in the 1970’s...centralheatking

“You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one”
From “Imagine” by John Ono Lennon

Is siting my boiler in my loft dreaming of a better solution ? Hope so with a ten year guarantee ?

Reply to Combi in Roof Space ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock