Search the forum,

Discuss Combi conversion nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
2464B51D-E8B4-4C2E-B1D4-3D5E8A7EDF6A.jpeg
can anyone help before I start ripping up floor boards

Converting to a combi but I can’t get the heating to circulate to the rads
New boiler in the same place as old so piped up to the flow and return dropping from the ceiling

I removed the cylinder and piped the flow from the boiler to the flow out to the rads
I capped the cylinder return and stuck an air vent on but it wont circulate

I linked the primary flow and return in the airing cupboard and it circulated back to the boiler
It’s as though the rads are not connected to the return

You sure the main return is linked to the rads return now?

Could of been gravity hot water before

I would link the cylinder ret to boiler ret

Was the old sys working ?

I have only got 3 pipes in the airing cupboard
Flow and return from the boiler
Flow to the rads

The house isn’t old enough to be gravity

It seems like the rad return isn’t teed into the primary return

the main return has to be connected to the rads return else it would of never been connected

What does the boiler do ?

Boiler works fine if I link the primary’s in the airing cupboard

The heat doesn’t go anywhere when I remove the link

from left to right
Cold
Hot
Primary flow
Primary return
Rads flow

thought the primary return wasnt in the airing cupboard?

Defiantly got a primary flow and return
When I link them it circulates around the boiler

And what was flow to the rad from the old 3 port
Those are my three pipes I’m left with once everything was removed

Ideal independant
Cheap landlord job that was supposed to be easy

The boiler works fine when I link the primary’s in the airing cupboard

Have you got the new flow going up the old flow?

A lot of people struggle with y and s plans so if they messed it up they may have put a non return valve in which if you have the flow and return the opposite way round won't work.

I removed the cylinder and piped the flow from the boiler to the flow out to the rads
I capped the cylinder return and stuck an air vent on but it wont circulate
It might be a numb question so excuse me (haven't seen it) but there's no high point to air lock in the connection from primary flow to CH flow to rads is there?

It might be a numb question so excuse me (haven't seen it) but there's no high point to air lock in the connection from primary flow to CH flow to rads is there?
I put a vent in the airing cupboard
The only thing I can think of is the tenants went round with a spanner and shut off all the rads

1C58C60F-F042-4D3B-8B40-EB64C4EC7352.jpeg

I left it like this in the airing cupboard
Then linked the primary flow and return on the stumps for vents and the heating circulates to to the airing cupboard and back to the boiler
The rads dont heat

Return not linked?

Reply to Combi conversion nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered central heating installer about 15 years ago, so I felt comfortable running the flow/return to rads). I am in need of a combi boiler install with a...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock