Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler swap.....how long? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

ISM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just wanting to hear people's thoughts on how long you take/quote to carryout a straight forward combi swap.

I am currently quoting one day and I must admit it can be a struggle, especially when there is more than average amount radiators to flush.

Basically, my wife thinks it should be a day and a half, as I'm always absolutely shattered and stressed when I've done one.

Combi off combi on, no gas run, max 3 metre of easy condense pipe with a chemical flush only I price for 1.5 days. Allow 1 day

Magna clean 1 hour minimum price done on day
Clock 1 hour done on day
Vertical flue 4 hours. Price and labour
Power flush 8 hours price and labour
Condense and gas pipe runs extra.

Day to swap
Day to flush and finish off / patch old holes up etc

Boiler on wall hot cold gas and heating connected and flue out by lunch fill up and chuck wiring into temporary link and run. Whilst running do condense,prv and patch up. Flush system wire up boiler whilst draining then fill and commission.

I do always leave the next morning free just in case but try to get it done in 1 day.

In and out in a day. Awesome flush that must be. What if they have 18 rads?

18 rads is a bit different and a chemical flush isn't that involved. If your doing a power flush or anything like that then yes needs more time.

I am very lucky (or unlucky if you like powerflushing) that where I live doesn't suffer hugely from sludge.

I think a powerflush/magna flush should be done after every install mate.

What's the point if the system is clean? I have boiler changes I did 5 years ago carried out a chemical flush put a magna clean on it that I've never cleaned the magnet. Whip it out and put it straight back in as they are virtually spotless.

Fair enough where I used to live I would possibly argue the same as you but round me not much point.

Boiler on wall hot cold gas and heating connected and flue out by lunch fill up and chuck wiring into temporary link and run. Whilst running do condense,prv and patch up. Flush system wire up boiler whilst draining then fill and commission.

I do always leave the next morning free just in case but try to get it done in 1 day.

Must be easy access ones as normally just got removed kitchen cupboard,old boiler out and jig on the wall by dinner and that’s starting at 7

Must be easy access ones as normally just got removed kitchen cupboard,old boiler out and jig on the wall by dinner and that’s starting at 7

Yeah it will only be the easy ones. If there is anything that will hold you up like remove a cupboard before or a tricky condense I would allow more time. But there are quite a few that van be done within a day easily.

Yeah it will only be the easy ones. If there is anything that will hold you up like remove a cupboard before or a tricky condense I would allow more time. But there are quite a few that van be done within a day easily.

We just Price across the board so always allow for the worst

In and out in a day. Awesome flush that must be. What if they have 18 rads?
Different story but if customer had between 7-9 possible to do in s day. It also depends on when you start the works and when you're planning to finish. A hot power flush will work much faster than cold so there is definitely less time involved too

If you fit a combi in a day , you are either very lucky ( location , 22mm supply etc etc ) or you are throwing it in .
If you fit a combi in a day , you are either very lucky ( location , 22mm supply etc etc ) or you are throwing it in .

I wouldn't say I throw them in and if I knew how to upload a photo I would show a photo of one of the installs of a Worcester condenser out baxi duotec in, flue went vertical into the loft then ran 2.5mtrs to terminate external. left my house at 7:15 was in merchants for 7:30 drove an hour to the property was back home before 5.

I did a Worcester out in the loft a few months back baxi 630 in 6 mtr 22mm gas run and 4 mtr condense run. Boiler was up and running for 1:30 had I not had to go back the next day to do other bits it would of been flushed and finished by 4.

Obviously not all are like that but that is what you look for when you go round to price.

Upload a file tab

Worked out how to post them. These are the 2 jobs I was talking about.

20170607_161444.jpg

20190221_085549.jpg

How you finding the pack 4 ?

Depends on the job.

Taking this that the system is clean and PH is good:-

Straight swap, say vaillant ecotec plus like for like, change the valves and flue etc. I would allow a day but it would be a short easy one.

Swap for a newer version, a good full day if the pipes are in right order.

Swap for a different make, normally a day and a half although I do tend to work over (12 hour day ish).

Swap a non-condnsing Combi for a new Condensing, Two days.

All flushing and treating etc is on top,

That's a rough estimate , Plumbing is far from straight forward as we all know.

So to all those saying 2 days when was the last time you were employed?

Pretty much most companies I've worked for over the last 10-12 years maybe longer has been a combi swap 1 day. If you had a long gas run etc that would be 2 days.

How long do you take to do something like a bbu out and a combi in airing cupboard?

I am

In short a 3 days to a week eg just a conversion to new rads and a conversion

So to all those saying 2 days when was the last time you were employed?

Pretty much most companies I've worked for over the last 10-12 years maybe longer has been a combi swap 1 day. If you had a long gas run etc that would be 2 days.

How long do you take to do something like a bbu out and a combi in airing cupboard?
It’s not a race and if your customer is happy with the slower approach then who is it harming. I’m not saying you don’t take care in a day but the perception to the customer is that you don’t. Also if the system is proper dirty then you’re knackered if you’ve only got a day. A proper flush is a must these days

I'm starting to feel that most of my working life I've been stitched up. Off the top of my head the last company that gave me over a day to do a combi swap would of been a good 14 years ago.

It’s not a race and if your customer is happy with the slower approach then who is it harming. I’m not saying you don’t take care in a day but the perception to the customer is that you don’t. Also if the system is proper dirty then you’re knackered if you’ve only got a day. A proper flush is a must these days

I fully see your point but if I priced for 2 days I dont think I'd win that many. I always leave the next morning free just in case something like a dirty system or other problems and if there is no problems happy days a morning surfing, sorry I meant paper work just incase my other half reads it. Lol.

Also as far as I know all my customers are more than happy with my work and my approach as most of them come back for more work.

Reply to Combi boiler swap.....how long? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only mechanical timer on it. I saw some videos on Internet that mechanical timer can be replaced with electrical one but i am not sure if it is compatible with...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
M
I am currently in the middle of a complete rennovation of my house and need some advice on what kind of boiler to get. The house will have 4 bathrooms in total. One on the ground floor (shower), two on the 1st floor (en suite has a shower and family bathroom has a bathtub and seperate shower)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock