Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss combi boiler not kicking in in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Trampy

Trampy New Member

Hi all,
    i'm relatively new to the world of plumbing and bathroom fitting.
    I've recently fitted a bathroom and the new basin tap (Bristan Orta Mixer) wont kick in the boiler when the hot is turned on. The new bath mixer and the existing kitchen tap work fine although the hot has to be turned fully on to kick the boiler in.
    Is this likely to be a flow issue as the pressure in the new basin tap is pretty poor. I've not changed any of the existing pipework, I've used full bore isolating valves and have ensured that the tap tails aren't twisted or kinked. I also dismantled the tap and made sure the filters were clear.
    Or could it be an issue with the boiler?
    cheers

2. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

What type of boiler is it?

3. Trampy

Trampy New Member

It's a combi boiler

4. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

:p.. yes we gathered that from the title, I think matchless means make and model.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Trampy

Trampy New Member

not sure, I’ll find out tomorrow

6. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You say filters, have you cleaned the aerating insert on the tap outlet spout?

7. Trampy

Trampy New Member

Yes, I cleaned that too

8. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

Try it without the spout insert see if it works as some do really restrict the flow

9. Trampy

Trampy New Member

Ok thanks, I’ll try that

10. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

Sounds like a boiler problem to me if you need to open the hot fully in the other taps to get it to fire, what’s the cold flow rate like?

11. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What's the flow rate like out of the taps?

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you checked that you opened the stopcock fully? As everyone else, check your flow rates.

13. Trampy

Trampy New Member

So I removed the spout insert and the water came gushing out and the boiler kicked in!! But water now splashes all over the bathroom I’ve seen online you can get an adjustable aerator spout insert, are these any good? Or am I just going to get the same problems of either too low flow or water splashing everywhere?

14. Trampy

Trampy New Member

Yes, stopcock is fully open

15. Trampy

Trampy New Member

Yes, I was thinking the same. The cold flow is good on the kitchen tap. It’s a messed up system though because the colds in the bathroom are tank fed.