Search the forum,

Discuss College or 'Crash Course' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DannyNeedham

Hi all,

A newbie to this forum.

I've been looking at plumbing courses will a local college. Im can only really learn part time on a evening. As a last resort, i'd look at the crash course option.

What are peoples thoughts on this...would this be a good starting block?

lcb.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&itemid=20

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Danny

People always go on about fast track been worst than a collage cource. Well the thing is all the material is the same for the 6129 they both run for a duration of 400 hours. The main difference is one is done in one block cource. And the other is one night a week and you will pay more for fast track.
I did mine from leaving school as a apprentice which consisted of 1 day a week at collage and the rest on site.
See that's the problem now you can do the 6129 and get the basics but what you miss out on is the day to day experience and problems.
So if you do fast track or collage you finish with the same result.

Go to your local college, see the tutors and see if the college will pay for your training, mine did and I was 45 and at the time on a low income. There is normally a lot of funding available.

The local college has lots of support available, they know local tradesmen and they can offer backup, most importanly they are not as dependant on earning an income from students as the short course providers.

Doing a 4 year training period allows you time to learn and make contacts, you arent just spat out and told to get on with it. Also you make more contacts and are able to use them this isnt the case on concentrated courses.

I have recently taken on works experience students from the college to help them get an idea of the job as apprentice places are limited at present, I cant keep an apprentice at this time as I dont want to work too hard this yr!! I wouldnt bother with anyone off a short course because they havent had the time to develop any skills, my 2 lads know more after 1 yr at college than any of the short course products ive come accross through other plumbers

good luck wot ever you choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to College or 'Crash Course' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I'm about to progress from Level 2 C&G to Level 3 (starting in September): I'd always thought i would do the Level 3 Gas, as this was the only course my local college offered, but i've just found out they're now also offering Level 3 Plumbing and Heating. Does anyone have any advice...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING COURSES. Dave Hare from Construction Skills College informs me that they have reviewed, amended and improved the courses that they offer. They have reviewed customer feedback prior to reviewing the course content with local plumbing and heating engineers to ensure that the courses...
Replies
Views
modenaz
M
M
I am a painter & decorator with no previous plumbing experience and through the ever deteriorating situation within my trade have decided to move on and do a gas course and eventually become a gas engineer. So about a week ago i took sum time off and decided to find myself the right course and...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
C
Hi there! My name is chris, 19 years old and i and new to this forum and also the plumbing industry. Bit about me: I completed school with my GCSE's, I then worked along side my dad carrying out maintenance work for Murco Petroleum, work included, bollard fitting, tiling, painting, bathroom...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
Free CSCS Card | Free Plumbers CSCS Cards If you're looking for free CSCS cards, and you meet the general requirements, then please do contact our training centres who may be able to help you out. Tiling Courses and Tiling training From Chase Tiling Academy and Construction Assessment...
Replies
Views
that bloke.
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock