Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tank replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have an old galvanised metal cold water tank that needs replacing, I've purchased a cistern plastic tank replacement and was recently quoted £1,600 for a 2 day labour + pipe materials.

The old metal pipes we have are of odd sizes so I was told this would require special tools to remove. Please see attached images.

20180321_182449.jpg

20180321_182424.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any expert advice regarding the costs as I did not expect it to be this high.

Many thanks!

Sounds about right if they were supplying everything

800-1k in labour and about 400 in materials including the tank

If you don't mind how much were you expecting ?

Hi Shaun,

I've already paid for the new water tank.

So the £1,600 quote covers labour and pipe materials (materials estimated to be around £100)

I was told on inspection it would've taken a full day to complete, so I was expecting precisely what you estimated, £800-1k.

But now I've been quoted 2 days worth of work, so £1,600 fee.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only thing I can suggest is get another quote but tell them one of it's services is in steel pipe

Sounds like Dick Turpin has made a comeback , get a couple more quotes / estimates .
Agree with tfj get quotes.
Also no special tools required other than maybe an angle grinder, also I would make sure all the valves are replaced and if me would have the steel cut out as far back as possible and new copper pipework after that point.
PS. All in all much the same replies as on the other forum here.

Agree with tfj get quotes.
Also no special tools required other than maybe an angle grinder, also I would make sure all the valves are replaced and if me would have the steel cut out as far back as possible and new copper pipework after that point.
PS. All in all much the same replies as on the other forum here.

And maybe threading equipment for the steel pipe out from the tank

Convert steel to copper from beneath and treat it like any other plastic tank.

Hope it comes apart and doesn't snap :D

• Creative
Reactions: rpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tank replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock