Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tank in the attic overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Thank you we are happy to help but likewise we don’t want to see someone flood their house. Do you understand the science of what I was trying to explain

Thank you we are happy to help but likewise we don’t want to see someone flood their house. Do you understand the science of what I was trying to explain
Yeah I get it. If the F&E is higher than those two then it will try to level itself out. But the F&E tank is only a small 10 gallon tank so I don’t think it’s higher than that big tank. However I will check.

The water level is the key factor not the actual size of the tank

The water level is the key factor not the actual size of the tank
This is what a meant by small. It isn’t possible for the CH tank level to be higher than the other two. Woke up this morning and the tanks are full again. And the CWSC is warm with the feed pipe very hot to touch.

98C7F869-41D3-4BE2-B41B-35B9D33694A6.jpeg

716C3095-985F-4F8C-986B-65068EA7FE72.jpeg

Ok then it’s impossible to tell from the angle of your pics the levels. That will be down to you. As long as the water in the f&e is lower than that in the larger tanks then you can rule out split coil. Only logical other fault then would be one of your mixers passing

Ok then it’s impossible to tell from the angle of your pics the levels. That will be down to you. As long as the water in the f&e is lower than that in the larger tanks then you can rule out split coil. Only logical other fault then would be one of your mixers passing
Also if the coil was split would the water in the hot water tank be dirty? As it was relatively clean.

Can the mixers pass if they are off? As this has happened overnight so nothing on.

Thanks again.

If you have isolators on mixer taps you will need to turn them off systematically to work out which one. My bet would be a shower

If you have isolators on mixer taps you will need to turn them off systematically to work out which one. My bet would be a shower
Yeah will go around turning off the isolators on each tap and checking to see if the flow has stopped. Hopefully find it that way.

No joy. Turned them off one by one. And then turned off the isolation valve on the entire feed on the pump. Still trickling.

I noticed on the hot water pipes on the pump where freezing cold. Like a mains water pipe. Not sure if this is a stupid point to make, but I turned off the mains water and the water going into the tank has now stopped. If the coil was split wouldn’t it drain down the F&E?

How many pipes come off the two larger tanks you have a cold feed to the cylinder. Anything else?

Turned mains water back and and immediately started going back up into the tank. I can’t access shower mixer to isolate but assumed isolating the entire feed off the hot water pump would do it.

Sorry I’m getting mixed messages with this does the pump do hot and cold water for the whole house or just for one shower. If all the house is pumped then the fault can only be with your kitchen mixer

Sorry I’m getting mixed messages with this does the pump do hot and cold water for the whole house or just for one shower
Pump does whole house, hence I thought if I used the isolation valves on the pump it would stop any backfilling mains. But either the isolation valves aren’t turning off fully or im barking up the wrong tree. However I can feel the pipes on the pump they are cold as if mains water is flowing through.

Right let’s backtrack as we keep going round in circles here. Any outlet you have that is hot pumped and cold mains could be your culprit and from what you said sounds the only logical explanation

Yep agreed. I’m just going to put a NRV on the outlet from the pump for the sake of £5 and my brain exploding. Will update after fitted.

Surely you can just isolate the pump on one of the flexible hoses

Ok so NRV fitted. Isn’t coming back into the tank at the moment but maybe because I turned off. Will check it over the course of the day to see if it’s come back. Thanks again for your help will keep you posted.

34802FEB-9309-42B9-B4E7-AE1428892E5D.jpeg

The small tank will fill your central heating the big tank fills your cylinder. Assuming it’s piped correctly the only place these to waters come close is in the coil in the cylinder, central heating water inside, domestic hot water outside. There could be a small pinhole in your coil meaning that when it heats and expands water from the smaller tank is able to pass into the domestic hot water. This then effectively makes it all one circuit no longer separate so the two tanks in the loft will try and achieve the same water level. This will only be the case though if the water level in the smaller tank is higher than that in the larger tank otherwise the same would happen only in reverse
Have traditional vented indirect system, in my case F&E tank base same level as large tank, so top level below, F&E tank overflows/steady trickle, maybe one bucket every 3 hours, also somewhat brownish water (water from taps crystal clear), guess it is coil, or could system be too hot (at one stage hot water was VERY hot), any suggestion?

Reply to Cold water tank in the attic overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock