Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water loft tank overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all,
Need advice....I have recently purchased a house which needed lots of work doing. It has no mains gas so everything is electric, radiators and immersion for domestic hot water. The main stopcock has been off for about a month whilst refitting the kitchen and bathroom. A week or so again turned it back on and within a day or two I noticed that the cold water loft tank was overflowing. I replaced the entire ball valve unit and observed it working fine, closing the inlet valve when water was about 2 inches below the overflow pipe. Within a day or two noticed the overflow dripping again. Upon checking appears that the ball valve is working fine with no leaks or dripping whatsoever. The only other potential source of water is via the immersion tank expansion pipe which enters the cold water storage tank at the top, although upon checking this it appears dry. The immersion tank has not been changed or altered in any way, nor has the cold water tank (with the exception of the ball valve unit). The immersion heater element thermostat is set at 60 degrees and the water hot temperature when checked is coming out of the tap at about 56 degrees. Any idea what could be causing the problem?

You could be getting mains water passing through a mixer tap/shower. This will backfill through your cylinder and into the tank.

Hi Craig & Riley,

Thanks for your replies. I've got to be honest I didn't think that was even possible...that said I am absolutely no expert. I'll be getting a plumber in to check the system out asap! Out of interest are you suggesting that it is back filling via the cold water tank outlet pipe or via the expansion pipe?

Hi Craig & Riley,

Thanks for your replies. I've got to be honest I didn't think that was even possible...that said I am absolutely no expert. I'll be getting a plumber in to check the system out asap! Out of interest are you suggesting that it is back filling via the cold water tank outlet pipe or via the expansion pipe?
It can back fill through the outlet.

Reply to Cold water loft tank overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock