Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Bedroom Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The radiator in the master bedroom is often cold while all others are hot. It's the furthest radiator from the boiler upstairs (and the biggest, probably 7ft or so in length). I've tried to bleed it but water there is no air.

The general fix is pretty easy. Turn the lockshield half a turn clockwise (closing it, I believe) and then turn it half a turn anti-clockwise. A few minutes later, the radiator is hot again (top to bottom). I tend to have to do this every 2-3 days and then it may last for a week or two before I need to do this again.

New combi-boiler fitted about 3 years ago with a power flush.

This also happened last winter - can't recall if I had to do it the first year after the new boiler was installed.

Just curious why I have to adjust the lockshield and return it to the normal position every so often and what could be done to fix this permanently?

Cheers,
Clive

It's possible the washer inside the lockshield valve has come loose and drops down onto its seat restricting or blocking the flow through the rad. By screwing it closed and opening it back up again I think it is "picking up" the washer again and opening the valve. The washer is just about holding in the correct place for a few days then dropping off once more, repeating the failure cycle.

The fact that the rad works properly after this procedure makes me think the issue is with the valve itself and it needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Bedroom Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock