Search the forum,

Discuss Clay rodding point reinforcement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, looking for some help/advice please...

I have a rodding point (just off our driveway) for the main waste leading to an ancient septic tank. It’s an uncapped vertical clay pipe that currently sits a couple of inches proud of the ground with a grate balanced on top. The problem has been that larger delivery vehicles occasionally catch it when turning, which recently (unsurprisingly!) resulted in both the rodding pipe and drain, also clay, cracking - now repaired.

We’ve stuck a traffic cone on top of it as a stop gap, but I’m keen to put a more permanent fix in place that will allow the rodding point to be driven over (occasionally) without a major risk of the clay pipes breaking again.

My thoughts are to dig down and cut the clay pipe off below ground level with an angle grinder or hacksaw, to allow some sort of heavy duty cap to be fitted. But I guess there would be some sort of concrete/brick reinforcement required in order that the cap/clay pipe doesn’t take the full weight of any rogue wheels.

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Thanks.

How big is the rodding point. If only a few inches, can you not form a hardstanding around it ans slightly higher? Then the vehicle's weight will be taken by the hardstanding instead of the rodding point...

That’s probably a much better shout, thanks - the pipe is only 6 inches or so diameter and a couple of inches above ground level. Cheers

Am in right in assuming it would be recommend to leave a small gap between the pipe and the concrete slab to isolate it from any potential movement?

Reply to Clay rodding point reinforcement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock