Search the forum,

Discuss CKR 1 new and existing installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

JTplumbingservices

Gas Engineer
guys, can anyone clarify this for me on here so I can tell my boss or should I phone gas safe for clarity.
New legislation states I have to wait 6 months from passing my CCN1 before I can do CKR1.
1- In the meantime can I remove and reconnect existing cookers at the bayonet?
2 - Can I install a new cooker if someone with CKR1 comes to check and commission it and fill in any necessary documents?
Cheers

I would say no to number 1, because you don't have the qualification you can't touch them or do any work on them. Number 2 I would say you can install it but technically you would require to be supervised at all times while working on it.

Anyone can remove a cooker from the bayonet, or plug a new cooker into a bayonet,

Some thoughts on this;

If you own the cooker you can plug the bayonet in, but if you are being employed to do it then you need to be qualified.
As Darren suggested, if it's new it's need commisioning.
If it's used it needs re commisioning.

Looking on the black side, if something goes wrong then where's the blame going to stop?

Some thoughts on this;

If you own the cooker you can plug the bayonet in, but if you are being employed to do it then you need to be qualified.
As Darren suggested, if it's new it's need commisioning.
If it's used it needs re commisioning.

Looking on the black side, if something goes wrong then where's the blame going to stop?

Good point snow, being employed to do it is a different set of rules and you have to have the relevant qualifications. Yet still anyone (not employed to do it) can do it. CRAZY WORLD !!!

Read technical bulletin 025. It is as snowhead has said, a homeowner can disconnect and reconnect in the same position but if your employed to do so then you must hold the relevant qualifications.
That’s crazy :eek:
I’d never leave something for a customer to connect !
I’ll just be telling my boss I’m not touching them till I have CKR1

Welcome to the headache world of gas work o_O

As Craig has said TB025 you can google this as it’s on hse website - contractors responsibility when when disconnecting and reconnecting gas cooking appliances. :cool:

Welcome to the headache world of gas work o_O

As Craig has said TB025 you can google this as it’s on hse website - contractors responsibility when when disconnecting and reconnecting gas cooking appliances. :cool:
I know it’s madness.
We done a couple of days cooker training as part of the course as well so I don’t get why I have to wait 6 months to sit it now, but looks like il just have to. It seems like those days could have went toward something in the assessments.

When did the 6 month change.

I thought you had to do any other categories WITHIN 6 months otherwise you had to do Core again.

Glad I've retired and my Commercial ACS has expired.

When did the 6 month change.

I thought you had to do any other categories WITHIN 6 months otherwise you had to do Core again.

Glad I've retired and my Commercial ACS has expired.
Not sure , I phoned my lecturer last week to tell him to book me in for CKR1 and he didmt even know if had changed so must be fairly recently.
It came into force October 2018 snow.
did they give any reason for this change ?

I know it’s madness.
We done a couple of days cooker training as part of the course as well so I don’t get why I have to wait 6 months to sit it now, but looks like il just have to. It seems like those days could have went toward something in the assessments.

Was having this discussion in another thread last night, it's really annoying, I missed it by a couple of weeks yet the training centre is charging us the same as those that got cookees & fires as part of the package. So as well as he delay it's an extra 400quid to find.

Our tutors have given us different explanations for it, but it sounds like the official reason is because they're claiming it's too much info for us to absorb in short amount of time. They want to ground is with boilers and be able to catch any incompetence before we're unleashed on riskier fires and cookers. I suppose with the amount of training centres that take the Sod the sector has been overdue tightening up the rules and regs.

Was having this discussion in another thread last night, it's really annoying, I missed it by a couple of weeks yet the training centre is charging us the same as those that got cookees & fires as part of the package. So as well as he delay it's an extra 400quid to find.

Our tutors have given us different explanations for it, but it sounds like the official reason is because they're claiming it's too much info for us to absorb in short amount of time. They want to ground is with boilers and be able to catch any incompetence before we're unleashed on riskier fires and cookers. I suppose with the amount of training centres that take the **** the sector has been overdue tightening up the rules and regs.
Luckily I went to a strict place to do mine but there is one place in particular I know of that’s notorious for people who don’t know anything going there and getting passed.
One guy in particular who now runs his own gas company was terminated 3 times where I did mine then went to this other place and passed first time

Luckily I went to a strict place to do mine but there is one place in particular I know of that’s notorious for people who don’t know anything going there and getting passed.
One guy in particular who now runs his own gas company was terminated 3 times where I did mine then went to this other place and passed first time

Yeh same with w

Had a few phone issues whilst trying to reply earlier, doesn't look like I can edit my abortive reply so will try again :confused:

Same with me, chose the firm I'm training with based on recommendations off a couple of decent gas engineers. I wanted to makes sure I avoided the dodgy places (shocking how many there are). The tutor we had during the last week of our MLP was telling us they've had to boot out a couple of guys in the last few years who turned up to do their CCN1 reassessment but couldn't even pull a tightness test despite having qualified with one of these dodgy firms and spent 5 years working in the field. I really hope they crack down on it as not fair on those that follow the rules.

Had a few phone issues whilst trying to reply earlier, doesn't look like I can edit my abortive reply so will try again :confused:

Same with me, chose the firm I'm training with based on recommendations off a couple of decent gas engineers. I wanted to makes sure I avoided the dodgy places (shocking how many there are). The tutor we had during the last week of our MLP was telling us they've had to boot out a couple of guys in the last few years who turned up to do their CCN1 reassessment but couldn't even pull a tightness test despite having qualified with one of these dodgy firms and spent 5 years working in the field. I really hope they crack down on it as not fair on those that follow the rules.
I think the main reason for these places doing this is to keep their pass mark as high as possible to make them look like a great training centre which is shocking.
My lecturers were great and they would help you if they could see you were struggling with something if they

my assessors would never tell you an answer but would guide you along if you were struggling with something if you were on the rite track with it but maybe due to the pressure of the assessments you were just getting mixed up or something, if they thought you just didn’t know it though they wouldn’t help and if you were doing anything unsafe youd be out the door.
Plus they knew from the 8 months at college before the assessments who was good and who weren’t.
I was in myself getting assessed because the other 2 guys didn’t even turn up.

I got a tad screwed because of this. The people i was going to work with has a contract with Vivid and said i couldn't work because i didn't have ck1 and htr1 even though the jobs do not contain these appliances.

I did talk with my test centre and you can get those appliances with core but you have to complete a portfolio with installs and servicing on all types of cookers and fires. With the amount of added portfolio work you may as well just wait the 6 months. But in my case it's back to labouring for 6 months as can't find a job with gas.

I got a tad screwed because of this. The people i was going to work with has a contract with Vivid and said i couldn't work because i didn't have ck1 and htr1 even though the jobs do not contain these appliances.

I did talk with my test centre and you can get those appliances with core but you have to complete a portfolio with installs and servicing on all types of cookers and fires. With the amount of added portfolio work you may as well just wait the 6 months. But in my case it's back to labouring for 6 months as can't find a job with gas.
So what do you have then ?
I have CENWAT, CPA and HTR off the top of my head, I’ll have to look at my card.
I had to complete a portfolio of 35 boiler jobs including CPA receipts.
It was 35 as I am already a qualified plumber, without that I needed 80 jobs.

So what do you have then ?
I have CENWAT, CPA and HTR off the top of my head, I’ll have to look at my card.
I had to complete a portfolio of 35 boiler jobs including CPA receipts.
It was 35 as I am already a qualified plumber, without that I needed 80 jobs.
I have CCN1 - CPA1 - CENWAT. I had to do 3 installs 6 services or the other way around, along with 3 CP12's. I only had to do what is in the photo.
IMG_20190210_154923.jpg

5 days a week for 6 months ?
Course was 5 a days a week for 5weeks, 2 pipe skills and then 3 gas stuff. Has since been changed to 7 weeks. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an engineer to shadow as the experience taught is not enough to be competent. I just chose to go with my engineer for longer than needed to be competent.

Reply to CKR 1 new and existing installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock