Search the forum,

Discuss City & Guilds 6035 Diploma in Plumbing Level 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pallet48

Hello All,
Wondered if i could pick the forums knowledge and brains. I went back to college at the grand old age of 41 believing that i could retrain and make myself a reasonable living in the future. i Knew work in this country was in bad shape but thought that after gaining my nvq level 2 at college and having a driving licence that i might be able to find myself a job as a mate ( knowing that i would be on low wages ) . i now have passed level 2 and have been accepted for level 3. I have been unable to find work as a mate, looking but they seem to want a lot of experience.

the question i would like some help on is , should i go for level3 knowing that i have found no work and that the final part is a work assessment on site. any help and advise very much appreciated

thanks

Stu

im in ashford in middlesex , near staines, would like to work in reading if possible

What have you taken at Level 2 pallet48 you say it was an NVQ but did you have employment & the on-site assessments ?? As the 6035 is not out yet & is not an NVQ course. Only the 6189 is worth while as it is the NVQ industry standard.

Hello , nvq level 2 in basic plumbing , city and guilds 6129 -22 . i worked 3 day a week( not plumbing ) and attend college for workshop and theory lessons . all theory lessons passed and workshop assignments signed off . the level 3 i was accepted in march and when contacted yesterday 6035 was the course they were quoting . hope this makes sence ,

This cant be nvq level 2 .for a level 2nvq you have to A, have an employer B, selfemployed and have someone sign for your portfolio C,have a lot of pics from all your jobs and so on,

i studied at west thames, sorry to be a bit confusing. i had a portfolio done over the year, lead , copper, steel pipe, plastic etc . had to pass a seroius of tests.

he is the course they are offering this year, slightly differnt

[DLMURL="http://www.west-thames.ac.uk/en/courses/subject/Construction/courses.cfm/cid/1091"]courses - Plumbing and Heating - City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 Diploma[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello , nvq level 2 in basic plumbing , city and guilds 6129 -22 . i worked 3 day a week( not plumbing ) and attend college for workshop and theory lessons . all theory lessons passed and workshop assignments signed off . the level 3 i was accepted in march and when contacted yesterday 6035 was the course they were quoting . hope this makes sence ,
The 6129 - 22 is called a technical certificate it is not an NVQ & is therefore not recognised in the industry it had to be combined with the 6089 which was the NVQ on-site assessment part,both of these runs out soon & have been replaced with one single qualification call the 6189 NVQ Diploma (which has the on-site assessments & so can not be completed unless you are working within the trade.
The colleges have campaigned to have a replacement because they can't get enough money from people like you (or government funding for the wee ones) so C&G are bring out the 6035 but no details as yet IT IS NOT AN NVQ & so will not be recognised by employers it may be along the lines of the 6189 & it may also be possible to transfer over should you be lucky enough to get a plumbing job.
Two words of warning 1. if it is anything like the 6189 L3 it will be very, very, very demanding (nothing at all like the L2 & because you have taken the 6129 you will have miss out on some info. 2. Being the C&G the course material is more than likely not be ready until this time next year meaning you may not be doing the right stuff until half way through the course, there track record on this is not good.
As for what you should do, all I can do is lay out the facts, then it's up to you. By the way how much do they want for it ???

think its about ÂŁ1650, but wouldnt be suprised if that changed

Hello All,
Wondered if i could pick the forums knowledge and brains. I went back to college at the grand old age of 41 believing that i could retrain and make myself a reasonable living in the future. i Knew work in this country was in bad shape but thought that after gaining my nvq level 2 at college and having a driving licence that i might be able to find myself a job as a mate ( knowing that i would be on low wages ) . i now have passed level 2 and have been accepted for level 3. I have been unable to find work as a mate, looking but they seem to want a lot of experience.

the question i would like some help on is , should i go for level3 knowing that i have found no work and that the final part is a work assessment on site. any help and advise very much appreciated

thanks

Stu

you dont need work to pass the 6035

hello fuzzy, i thought you had to do a onsite work assessment to be signed off

not for the 6035 diploma, you do for the 6189 nvq diploma

if you do the 6035 you can upgrade to the 6189 at a later date when you get the work

Hello everybody,

I would just like to mention that C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing level 3 is definitely not as difficult as the 6129. The 6129 involved lot's of practical gas work installation etc... This 6035 diploma in plumbing level 3 has a small practice portfolio but NO gas work. I am currently working to domestic gas safety and it is probably the best unit to cover.

If I was to give you my email address could somebody email me the old 6129 gas exam questions safety & appliances.

I wouldn't say that the 6129 had lots of gas installs, it may have looked like there was but closer inspection would have reviled that each job included assessment sign off's for both commissioning & de-commissioning as well as installing. I think it was just a cooker, fire, boiler & water heater that was all.
Not a lot of gas work to start a gas career on, that is why before you are allowed to even sit any of the ACS you have to have worked with a gas engineer (something like a minimum of 70Days). People on the 6189 (NVQ) are not even allowed to take the gas option route (training) unless they are working with gas engineers & can provide evidence of this minimum 70 days.

I do not know Mohammed how you would stand if you found a job & wanted to transfer to the 6189 perhaps fuzzy can enlighten us as to how it will work.

As far as old gas exams, you may be lucky with someone on here but my best advice would be to buy yourself the latest copy of the Corgi book, Core Safety (although this is not a good book as far a training is concerned) it is the main reference book for most working engineers & it has been allowed to be used in the exams so getting used to where to find information will be a real help.

if you do the 6035 you can upgrade to the 6189 at a later date when you get the work
What would you need to do in order to upgrade from the 6035 to the 6189? I know you have to be working as or alongside a Plumber but what more do you need to complete in order to pass and how much of the 6035 course covers the 6189 qualification (roughly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to City & Guilds 6035 Diploma in Plumbing Level 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock