Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern overflows to pan when the shower is running. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The toilet cistern overflows into the pan when the shower on the floor below is running. Why would this be?
They say the shower seems low on pressure recently. Again why would this be and what is the connection between the problems if there is one?

The toilet cistern overflows into the pan when the shower on the floor below is running. Why would this be?
They say the shower seems low on pressure recently. Again why would this be and what is the connection between the problems if there is one?

Interesting symptoms. Is the shower pumped? Is is a vented or unvented hot water system?

If it's just a mains-fed shower, my guess is that the toilet's float valve is borderline not sealing correctly due to low supply pressure. Running the shower reduces the pressure in the feed.

Make sure your stopcock is properly open (fully open and then close half a turn). Look for evidence of leaks (water meter turning when not water is being used). Attach a pressure gauge to a tap and check the pressure is normal for the area. Ask the neighbours if they have noticed reduced water pressure.

Seen that happening with an old Fluidmaster valve that started to constantly while the basin tap was opened.
It is a reduction of pressure and new valve is what I did

Reply to Cistern overflows to pan when the shower is running. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a pneumatic concealed cistern behind a removable vanity panel. I pulled the panel off to investigate a dull knocking noise when the cistern is coming to nearly full, I haven't ascertained what this might be as yet, I wondered if it was the cold water pipes knocking (as in water hammer)...
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and after a shower but this happens seemingly randomly and probably happens when no one is home). As a result my water bill has considerably increased but I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m new to the business so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was tracing the cistern tank overflow pipe and found it eventually went to nowhere. Basically a disaster waiting to happen. The problem I have is that this is a flat on the 2nd floor with no visible external overflow...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock