Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Circulating pump valve nuts in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

does anyone have tips on getting seized circulating pump nuts off. It's especially annoying in tight boiler houses. All suggestions welcome :)

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Tap Tap with hammer lightly first?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can be a nightmare. Loads of wd40 and a massive pair of grips . Otherwise I cut the pipework and put new valves in

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I use an 18” pair of grips and a small lump hammer

5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Chisel and hammer, tap them round. For really stubborn ones I hacksaw the ring off.

6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Hit them with a claw hammer all around, but mainly on the strongest part of the nut, towards the valve body. (If you hit the side of nut near the pump too severely, it is weaker and risk of deforming the nut and it seizing worse). Some take a while to ease and need plenty of patience.
    On really awkward pumps I have slackened the valves on the copper pipes slightly to aid turning the pump around to get access to all sides of pump nut to hit with a hammer.
    If pump nuts are very badly rusted in, or in terrible condition, then just junior hacksaw the nuts and split them off with a flat blade screwdriver and hammer, after ensuring valves are fully closing off.
    Carry new pump nuts for the job and complete pump valves as sometimes better to just replace whole lot.

7. heatservice

heatservice Member

Brass nuts can distort the more pressure you apply, I have sometimes been successfully when using my grips backwards, may sound stupid but try it, heat usually helps also.

8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

normally tighten them a wee bit first and then undo normally works if not undo the nuts and replace the valves as ive already drained down due to most not holding / dirty

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

Hammer has always worked for me