Search the forum,

Discuss Circulating pump valve nuts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzt

Esteemed
does anyone have tips on getting seized circulating pump nuts off. It's especially annoying in tight boiler houses. All suggestions welcome :)

Can be a nightmare. Loads of wd40 and a massive pair of grips . Otherwise I cut the pipework and put new valves in

Chisel and hammer, tap them round. For really stubborn ones I hacksaw the ring off.

Hit them with a claw hammer all around, but mainly on the strongest part of the nut, towards the valve body. (If you hit the side of nut near the pump too severely, it is weaker and risk of deforming the nut and it seizing worse). Some take a while to ease and need plenty of patience.
On really awkward pumps I have slackened the valves on the copper pipes slightly to aid turning the pump around to get access to all sides of pump nut to hit with a hammer.
If pump nuts are very badly rusted in, or in terrible condition, then just junior hacksaw the nuts and split them off with a flat blade screwdriver and hammer, after ensuring valves are fully closing off.
Carry new pump nuts for the job and complete pump valves as sometimes better to just replace whole lot.

Brass nuts can distort the more pressure you apply, I have sometimes been successfully when using my grips backwards, may sound stupid but try it, heat usually helps also.

normally tighten them a wee bit first and then undo normally works if not undo the nuts and replace the valves as ive already drained down due to most not holding / dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Circulating pump valve nuts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock