Search the forum,

Discuss Chrome pipe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Winston

Hi gents I have got a shower to replace unfortunatley the existing shower has exposed copper pipe going up the wall looks awful. I am going to replace with a nice chrome valve and thought the chrome would at least look nicer. I havent tried before can I bend chrome in the same way as copper or should I use compression fittings?

I've been told (not tried it) that you can't bend chrome pipe because the chrome comes off the copper.:)

Hi

I've never done this before but the pipe won't be chorme its just the plating so you will most likely make the plating flake and crack and then come away

Where does the piping come from is it the ceiling?

The best way would be for you to make up the work in copper then get it plated after you have bent the tube, etc, because the chrome will crack and flake off if bent to much, use compression fittings or if using solder fittings, have the fitting wax plugged so that the chrome does not plate the inside of the fitting, and either get the platers to strip the chrome off the end of the tubes where soldering the fittings, or use hydrochloric acid to strip the chrome off the ends of the tube just a mm more than the fitting depth so that the solder will take on the tube

Believe it or not but its been tee off the h&c feeds from the basin! It looks awful at the moment but thought it may at least look better in chrome pipe. I have not said this is what I plan to the customer but she is a oap and it really looks carp at the mo.:(

Believe it or not but its been tee off the h&c feeds from the basin! It looks awful at the moment but thought it may at least look better in chrome pipe. I have not said this is what I plan to the customer but she is a oap and it really looks carp at the mo.:(

if you can get hold of some stainless steel pipe this can be bent and joined with compression fittings not sure its still commonly available as ive only seen it used for sparge pipes recently

Plouasne's plating suggestion is the ideal and what I'd prefer on high end jobs which require a lot of chrome but for smaller jobs it's a bit difficult to justify the extra expense.
I always strip the chrome off the pipe entering the fitting. It stops the pipe from turning when tightening up a compression fitting and it's essential for soldered fittings.

You can bend chrome but it does affect the chrome finish. It's not that big a deal, it just looks a little matt. Practice on a short length, I certainly wouldn't bend it more than 90 degrees though.

Thanks guys for all your wisdom, maybe one day I may be as knowledgable as your kind selves :)

i am often stuck with using a chrome pipe on show, it bends the same way as copper, the plating dosn't come off, it bends fine!

shaun

Well I think I will have a couple of goes at bending the pipe as it would look nicer, thanks for the input guys :)

I did have a link to a company that sold chrome fittings for soldering to pipe, its on the other computor but I have never used any, I got the link off of screwfix forum from someone who wanted to do some chrome pipework in his bathroom but didn't want to use compression fittings

Hi mate thanks for that but I am not what you are called welcome on the screwfix forum not very popular there ;) I think its somthing about them not being able to take what they dish out!:D

Hi mate thanks for that but I am not what you are called welcome on the screwfix forum not very popular there ;) I think its somthing about them not being able to take what they dish out!:D

Ha Ha!! you haven't been upsetting them on there have you?

Ima it is full of the same old dribble from a lot of people who have IAC sindrome

Well tried to bend the chrome pipe dint look good, some plating came of and other times the finish looked rippled. So cut and used compression it looked and worked a treat and customer very happy.

I did have a link to a company that sold chrome fittings for soldering to pipe, its on the other computor but I have never used any, I got the link off of screwfix forum from someone who wanted to do some chrome pipework in his bathroom but didn't want to use compression fittings

I'm not sure if this is the same site but here is one that sells chrome yorkshires.
GoFixIt - Plumbing > Solder Ring Fittings

If you soldered them though does it not make the fitting and pipe have a blue colour? :confused:

What fittings can I use to go from plastic to compression for chrome copper pipe, been to a job that looks awful all wonky donkey plastic every where?

Soldering onto chrome plated pipe doesn't make it go blue. I haven't tried a chrome solder ring fitting but I have soldered onto chrome pipe with copper end feeds where they're not on display.
Remove the chrome, flux and solder the joint as usual. It's never discoloured for me.
Maybe give it a go and see?

As for joining onto plastic you can use normal compression fittings but make sure they have copper olives and use the right brand of insert for the pipe.

probably a bit later, but iv found some chrome pipe bends normally, and some actually fractures the copper when you bend it

ive had no probs bending chrome, either,
another solution would be to get lead solder and solder it onto the copper,just make sure ya cover it with flux and no drips,it turns out very well,i have never done it on a job but was told about it and done it on a course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chrome pipe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock