Search the forum,

Discuss 'Cheque in the post' ha ha in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi there,

Thanks for all the helpful advice about working from a small space. I have decided to rack my van and give it another go from here, doing just the small jobs. I'll have to advertise. Friend of mine reckons even Gumtree worked for him, so I stand encouraged.

On another note, I have a #~@-head customer who obviously thinks it isn't a problem that my (30-day) invoice from early September hasn't been settled. Sadly the work wasn't at his own house, so I can't chase him that easily. He has had a valid invoice, and he emailed back to let me know he was pleased with my work and looked forward to using my services again. He also sent me a text to let me know a cheque had been posted (a bit late, but okay, except I haven't received it). It's only £120, so not a huge problem, but it is the principle. He has a reputation for slowness, and it was mostly a labour charge, so I can wait, but I do want to get paid eventually. He runs a small building firm in Essex, which will remain nameless on this open forum, but it isn't Colchester-based.

A fortnight ago, I sent a Recorded (which he signed for) letter to let him know I had not received his cheque and he hasn't replied. This was, for his benefit, written evidence that I had not recieved the cheque.

What would you do next? Should I ring him and politely ask how he sees things in the light of my letter? Should I give him x days notice and then initiate a small claims Court Claim?

If I thought he'd definitely pay eventually, I'd be happy to wait it out in the knowledge that one day he's going to ring me desperate for a plumber to finish a job off and I'll be able to say yes, come round my house by 8 with £500 cash and I'll do the job and you can have the change when I've written the invoice.

(Believe it or not, one of my customers likes to work that way round. I know who I'd rather work for.)

Any ideas? thank you!

Hi there,

Thanks for all the helpful advice about working from a small space. I have decided to rack my van and give it another go from here, doing just the small jobs. I'll have to advertise. Friend of mine reckons even Gumtree worked for him, so I stand encouraged.

On another note, I have a #~@-head customer who obviously thinks it isn't a problem that my (30-day) invoice from early September hasn't been settled. Sadly the work wasn't at his own house, so I can't chase him that easily. He has had a valid invoice, and he emailed back to let me know he was pleased with my work and looked forward to using my services again. He also sent me a text to let me know a cheque had been posted (a bit late, but okay, except I haven't received it). It's only £120, so not a huge problem, but it is the principle. He has a reputation for slowness, and it was mostly a labour charge, so I can wait, but I do want to get paid eventually. He runs a small building firm in Essex, which will remain nameless on this open forum, but it isn't Colchester-based.

A fortnight ago, I sent a Recorded (which he signed for) letter to let him know I had not received his cheque and he hasn't replied. This was, for his benefit, written evidence that I had not recieved the cheque.

What would you do next? Should I ring him and politely ask how he sees things in the light of my letter? Should I give him x days notice and then initiate a small claims Court Claim?

If I thought he'd definitely pay eventually, I'd be happy to wait it out in the knowledge that one day he's going to ring me desperate for a plumber to finish a job off and I'll be able to say yes, come round my house by 8 with £500 cash and I'll do the job and you can have the change when I've written the invoice.

(Believe it or not, one of my customers likes to work that way round. I know who I'd rather work for.)

Any ideas? thank you!

I would go and see him in person

Sadly his home address is some 40 miles away. What is weird is that the company name (though he must be a sole trader, so it must be a T/as), is actually in Colchester after all according to his website. Hmm.

So he's obviously not actually living at the address his website states, but the invoice address he supplied me with must be correct since he's signed for my letter. Could be worth a 20 mile round trip to see who or what might be in his website address though.
I take it you've done this before. What do I say to him, assuming he's there which I think he isn't? That payment in person would be appreciated and since I'm there...

Normally a face to face sorts it payment before you leave, if you think he could bounce the check cash or bank transfer

Cheers, Shaun. I doubt he's at the website address, but I'll give it a go - I may get lucky, either with him and the cheque, or with whoever lives there now ;)

Use the little search box, somebody posted the correct procedure of 3 letters being sent and quoting "The late payment of commercial debts (Regulations) 2013
Letter 1 Standard outstanding debt request
2 gives 7 days
3 Gives 72hrs or it is passed to our chosen debt recovery agency

So he's obviously not actually living at the address his website states, but the invoice address he supplied me with must be correct since he's signed for my letter. Could be worth a 20 mile round trip to see who or what might be in his website address though.
I take it you've done this before. What do I say to him, assuming he's there which I think he isn't? That payment in person would be appreciated and since I'm there...

Be nice. Explain the visit. Don't say too much else.

Have you phoned him to ask what is going on? Tell him to cancel the cheque he sent and pay by bank transfer or cash which you will happily come and pick up.

I have had too many botched bank transfers to want another. A cheque is fine as if he knowingly writes a rubber one, it's called fraud. But I'm not driving to Southend if that's where he's camped. I recently worked out my actual cost of motoring, and the HMRC rate of 45p per mile isn't far out, so an 80 mile trip would cost me £36. Plus I really hate driving. But if he's working locally, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Cheque in the post' ha ha in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock