Search the forum,

Discuss checking safety devices on gas hob and oven in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if you cant see the pipe work and you dont know how many fittings or how much 22mm pipe runs though the ceiling? Are you only doing purge volume caculations to check if you are allowed to purge it with out igniting. I am confused. Alot of the time you can see the pipework and you cant go ripping floor boards up.

you never need to know how many fittings are on an install to work out purge volume, its down to meter and/or pipe size, if you cant see all the pipework you need to work on a best endeavour, say 28mm pipe disappears under the floor and 8m away 22mm pipe appears up as you dont know where it drops down simply take it as 28mm all the way, the reality is it wont make much difference, remember we are nearly talking about IV and PV in the same thread, max IV for domestic ticket is 0.035m3 (approx 90m x 22mm pipe with an E6 meter, so you will never go over in a domestic as you wont get any gas out of the pipe if the appliance is 90m away from the meter, if there is any 35mm pipe or a U16 meter you need to work out IV before you start, (o.035m3 max for domestic) if you can work on it you need to work out PV so you need PV of the meter and then calculate pipe lengths (again if you cant see all the pipe or where it reduces assume larger size) once you add up all the pipe volumes, add 10% for fittings (thats why you dont need to know how many there are) then multiply answer by 1.5 lastly add PV of meter, if under 0.02m3 purge to vented area, if over 0.02m3 you need to light it as soon as you start purging

So, on a U6 meter, you have to purge times the badge capacity which is 0.355 and this has to be burned. Do you just use a lighter at the hob? As you are not able to use electricity?

So when you guys say turn the gas off and wait for the click, do you mean just turn the gas off on the tap? Not like on the isolation valve like any other appliance? Am sure you wouldnt disconnect it from the bayonet fitting. Or would you?

ok, I have looked in my Viper and gas book and it says that for a U6 meter with 28mm pipe, you purge 0.01m3. And you do not need to light it. Which on the dial, is just between increment 3 and 4. But, if on my acs assessment, i lit the gas at the cooker, would it be allowed? As, it is recommended to in both my viper and Corgi to light. If so, what do i use to light it? A lighter or bit of paper?

Thanks for all the help guys

you never need to know how many fittings are on an install to work out purge volume, its down to meter and/or pipe size, if you cant see all the pipework you need to work on a best endeavour, say 28mm pipe disappears under the floor and 8m away 22mm pipe appears up as you dont know where it drops down simply take it as 28mm all the way, the reality is it wont make much difference, remember we are nearly talking about IV and PV in the same thread, max IV for domestic ticket is 0.035m3 (approx 90m x 22mm pipe with an E6 meter, so you will never go over in a domestic as you wont get any gas out of the pipe if the appliance is 90m away from the meter, if there is any 35mm pipe or a U16 meter you need to work out IV before you start, (o.035m3 max for domestic) if you can work on it you need to work out PV so you need PV of the meter and then calculate pipe lengths (again if you cant see all the pipe or where it reduces assume larger size) once you add up all the pipe volumes, add 10% for fittings (thats why you dont need to know how many there are) then multiply answer by 1.5 lastly add PV of meter, if under 0.02m3 purge to vented area, if over 0.02m3 you need to light it as soon as you start purging

Thanks pal thats cleared it up for me.

out of all the things in gas /acs ect this is the one thing that scares me the most just carnt get my head round the amount of gas that comes out by doing it by the book ive done it that way and it took ages to clear an was scared incase anyone came in and switched something on or the fridge fired up or the fone went ect as you carnt turn everything off in a house especaily a freezer full of frozen food, had this discusion on here loads of times, i understand why they do it but dont agree with it, if you smell the slightest amount of gas wen in a house transco tell you to turn the gas off and open all doors windows etc so why is it ok to let that amount of gas into a room i still use my sniffer on my anton till it goes to high to purge i no thats not the "correct"way but just carnt do it the other way

out of all the things in gas /acs ect this is the one thing that scares me the most just carnt get my head round the amount of gas that comes out by doing it by the book ive done it that way and it took ages to clear an was scared incase anyone came in and switched something on or the fridge fired up or the fone went ect as you carnt turn everything off in a house especaily a freezer full of frozen food, had this discusion on here loads of times, i understand why they do it but dont agree with it, if you smell the slightest amount of gas wen in a house transco tell you to turn the gas off and open all doors windows etc so why is it ok to let that amount of gas into a room i still use my sniffer on my anton till it goes to high to purge i no thats not the "correct"way but just carnt do it the other way

why are you scared? you are purging to ventilated area and the gas cant explode till it is between 5-15% volume, you are only purging 0.01m3 gas so if 0.01m3 is 5-15% of the room volume and likely to explode what size will the room be? and that would also mean you had shut the window to stop the gas escaping, on a hob or cooker, 20-30 secs will purge the correct volume it just isnt going to be a problem,

If you 'carnt' be doing the purging by the book and if you 'carnt'
be doing it the "correct" way I would wonder if you are competent
to be doing gas work at all.

Are you registered with Gas Safe Register as a GSR installer?

why are you scared? you are purging to ventilated area and the gas cant explode till it is between 5-15% volume, you are only purging 0.01m3 gas so if 0.01m3 is 5-15% of the room volume and likely to explode what size will the room be? and that would also mean you had shut the window to stop the gas escaping, on a hob or cooker, 20-30 secs will purge the correct volume it just isnt going to be a problem,

get all that kirkgas mate dont disagree and dont no why, it just does, 20 or 30 secs i do that anyway no loads of gas safe people and dont no anyone who purges by the book all say the same as me

If you 'carnt' be doing the purging by the book and if you 'carnt'
be doing it the "correct" way I would wonder if you are competent
to be doing gas work at all.

Are you registered with Gas Safe Register as a GSR installer?

whats with the big writing,am not even going to reply to this read my post properly

get all that kirkgas mate dont disagree and dont no why, it just does, 20 or 30 secs i do that anyway no loads of gas safe people and dont no anyone who purges by the book all say the same as me

i take your point its all about being comfortable with what you do, BUT if you dont purge the correct volume and an old cooker with no FSD's goes out due to an airlock then the unburnt gas fires back through when nobody is in the kitchen, to me is far more dangerous than purging 0.01m3 with the window open, TBH i have never ever considered it anything other than safe to do, when you consider some of the things we do at work anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
who has seen the supplier snatching an ecv and his mate catching the gas from the open end into a black bin bag then taking it outside, haha superb, "you're no in college noo wee man"
or the guy moving the meter from inside to outside cutting the live supply and plugging with denso till he is ready to snatch on the transitional fitting to connect the new plastic supply, the only H&S they use is the guy outside the track having a spare hacksaw ready to chuck into to him if the blade on the first one breaks, and the guy with the spare hacksaw is usually smoking a ***

i take your point its all about being comfortable with what you do, BUT if you dont purge the correct volume and an old cooker with no FSD's goes out due to an airlock then the unburnt gas fires back through when nobody is in the kitchen, to me is far more dangerous than purging 0.01m3 with the window open, TBH i have never ever considered it anything other than safe to do, when you consider some of the things we do at work anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
who has seen the supplier snatching an ecv and his mate catching the gas from the open end into a black bin bag then taking it outside, haha superb, "you're no in college noo wee man"
or the guy moving the meter from inside to outside cutting the live supply and plugging with denso till he is ready to snatch on the transitional fitting to connect the new plastic supply, the only H&S they use is the guy outside the track having a spare hacksaw ready to chuck into to him if the blade on the first one breaks, and the guy with the spare hacksaw is usually smoking a ***

yep mate youre the instructor so to speak so your right and dont disagree with anything you have said or put and ive done it loads of times by 10 times the badge volume on the meter i ye no what i mean ,i do lol but all i was sayin is i use my gas leak sniffer on my anton till it goes to high beeping and high on the scale and then light and stay there for 10 mins and keep checkin it usually leave it on for 5 mins so i dont ever have a situation were it could go out as youve discribed cos i dont walk away till its been on a while

If the hose connection leak is on a threaded supply connection, consider turning off the water and dismantle the leaking joint. You must also check the olive for damage and that should help you tackle leaks with hose connections.

These fsds on each burner are thermocouples just like you see on fires and boilers and work the same way,heat up to allow gas on ,cool down to shut gas off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to checking safety devices on gas hob and oven in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock