Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Changing bath taps that.. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

That are at the back wall side...

I cannot think of any other way than to take the bath out.

Any magicians out there?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bath out or access from the rear wall if they will allow

3. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

I have had to take a block out of the gable end of a house to avoid ripping out the bath. It was actually easier to do that than get the bath out. If it's up against an internal wall, even easier. Cut a hole, change taps and hope customer is happy to have an access panel put in for future access. The last one I did was hidden inside a built-in wardrobe which was fortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bath out to be honest

5. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

Thought so Shaun. Thanks. No access from this rear wall so will let custard know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

I once ended up putting wainscot all around a hallway, with a hidden access panel. As this was cheaper and future proof, rather than remove bath from a three sided alcove. Custard chuffed and had added perceived valve of nice hall.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

There might be IF you can isolate the water and the taps are quarter turn. ;)

8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Even if they are NOT 1/4 turn, there may well indeed be a simpler way.

PICTURES PLEASE. Could save you shed loads of money!

9. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

See I have lots to learn hence my reluctance Dave ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. YorkshireDave

Yes! There are many. See here
    YOU can become one too. Take a look here

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Tap medic? Looks awesome if you ask me. Being able to have a lot of different cartridges in a box on the van without travelling to the suppliers. Gets my vote.:D:D:D;);););)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

Does the kit come with a pair of brass balls to enable one to charge £320 for 35 minutes work ?!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

I could do that when the alternative quote is four figures! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. YorkshireDave

God no! They are extra.

Interesting comment tho Ben. FYI, the owner was so flippin chuffed he went and got cash and paid there & then. He had tried loads of plumbers for weeks look at the problem and every single answer he had back ran into thousands.

What he ended up with was genuine peace of mind. He now knows that no matter what happens those taps can be put back to as new performance for a very very long time. Utimately he has and will continue to SAVE thousands. I guess it's all a simple matter of perspective. ;)

EDit. Qwik true story. About three months ago my local merchants passed a guy on to me. He told me he'd wasted £45 buying cartridges that never fitted. I quoted him £80 to do two. He came back and complained that he wasn't going to pay that price as he'd found out they were only £10 each.

I wasn't budging so I refused to do the job for any less. Oh and he kept lecturing me on how the spline count was irrelevant!

Anyway, I found out through a lady up the road that he'd been forced to remove the bath and spend £200 on new taps. My customer then made sure she told his wife the truth. Apparently he'd lied to her and told her it could not be done so put his young family through merry hell for two weeks whilst he did the work.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  15. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

It’s one of those things I need to get used to.
    A couple of jobs that took me half a day and I happily charged for that ( and they happily paid) I have developed techniques to do in a couple of hours - I should still charge for half a day, as the knowledge is worth it - but I often find that difficult. My wife has to remind me that I should be doing this for the money, not the feel good factor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2