Search the forum,

Discuss Challenging installation 1300 FT / 600 FT of head / 40° hill in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

R

RomaRoma

Greetings, esteemed community members,

I find myself in possession of a remote and highly inaccessible plot of land, devoid of any utilities. On this land, there exists a well housing a 10-year-old pump that has never been utilized. I intend to conduct a thorough test using a portable generator. Regrettably, despite my best efforts, the nearest plumber, whom I compensated $1000, was unable to access the well. However, the plumber did offer the following insight: "To operate this pump, you will require a VFD controller capable of running a 1 horsepower 3-phase motor, in addition to a 3,500-watt or higher 230-volt generator."

The primary challenge I face in this location is the uphill water pumping, which necessitates either upgrading the current pump to a more powerful one or positioning a water barrel at an intermediate point and employing an additional pump to cover the remaining distance. Ideally, I would prefer a single solution that is both efficient and safe, although the ultimate decision will hinge on which option proves to be the most optimal.

My objective is to install a water pipe with in some areas inclines up to 40°, renting a trencher to achieve a depth of 4 feet.
The plumber commented on this matter, stating, "Based on the pump curve you provided for the 1/2 horsepower 5 pump, the maximum lift achievable is 380 feet. It is likely that a larger pump will be required to overcome the elevation and compensate for the friction loss over such a lengthy distance. While it is difficult to determine precisely, it is possible that you may only receive a trickle of water at the top if the well has a static depth of 33 feet."

Installed pump specs:
Pentex: 3ph 1HP 60 HZ 230V 4.0 AMPS 0.75 KW 3450 RPM, P45R0010A3, SF 1.4 Class B KVA CODE M SF MAX AMPS 4.7
Myers: 5GPM 1/2 HP, 3ST52-5-P4

• The installed well pipe size is 1-1/4" SCH 40 (370 PSI, D1785 cresline).
  • The well depth is 100 feet, with a static depth of approximately 33 feet.
  • The land and slope consist of loose soil, and erosion occurs during the spring and autumn seasons. I will implement erosion control measures in high-sloped areas after the pipes are tested and buried.
  • The total length of the pipe is about 1300 feet, consisting of 20-foot bell-ended PVC SCH 80 (1-1/4") sections. I may consider downsizing to 10-foot sections. Coiled pipe is not an option as I have to manually transport the pipe uphill.
  • The altitude range is from A to Z, approximately maximum 450-480 feet.
  • I will utilize a 4-foot deep trencher to bury the pipe and apply pipe insulation to each section.
  • The outdoor conditions span from -50°F to approximately 130°F.
  • The ground primarily consists of lose soil, with some areas containing rocks or mountains, which may allow for relatively shallow pipe installation.

I have the following challenges for which I need assistance:

1) Do I need to anchor my pipes? Could you provide any suggestions regarding the best product or anchor for this specific application?
2) What high-quality VFD controller do I need? Additionally, how can I set up this system with a 3,500-watt or higher generator?
3) How can I conduct a proper test of the entire pipe setup once it is glued (which will likely be covered in insulation)? I am considering an overnight pressure test without water, but I am unsure if such kits are available for purchase.
4) I plan to use standard pipe insulation, pipe couplings, and glue (likely obtained based on recommendations from the same store). If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.
5) Should I use the original PVC pipe SCH 40 that is already installed in the well for such pressures? (I anticipate a minimum of 250 PSI at the bottom of the well.)

Thank you for your expertise and any guidance you can provide on these intricate matters.

Pictures for the reference attached as well

Based on this Myers pump curve you would require a 1.5HP pump to give you a flowrate of 5GPM at ~ 580ft head, this allows ~ 35ft pipe friction loss based on 1" ID piping, (you might provide the ID of your piping) A 1HP will provide 5GPM at ~ 420ft head, which might meet your needs if the elevation is 450ft, the 1/2HP is useless IMO as its dead headed head is only 420ft.

Don't have pump curves for the Pentex.

1689803789367.jpeg

Last edited:

Reply to Challenging installation 1300 FT / 600 FT of head / 40° hill in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock