Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss CH flow pipework still hot even with CH turned off in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. StuartA

StuartA New Member

Yes, felt it in the loft just before it’s tee’d into the pipe that provides the flow to the rads & it’s hot. But wouldn’t that be the same as the flow pipes coming down to the rads from the loft?

2. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

Not sure what you mean without knowing the layout, but the pipe going to the rads shouldn't be hot if the controls are calling for HW only.
    I would feel the pipe (the one to the rads obviously) at the 3-port valve and work further along towards the rads. It might be hot close to the valve, but if it's hot more than a few feet along it looks like your valve is passing.

3. doitmyself

doitmyself Well-Known Member

It may seem a stupid question, but: how do you know which is the flow pipe?

If it's every other rad, what happens to the remaining rads?

4. StuartA

StuartA New Member

The pipes are hot literally all the way from the 3 port to the TRV’s, there’s very slight warmth at the top of the rads but it’s cold at the return end of the rad & in the return pipes. I’m really starting to believe the valve is passing

5. StuartA

StuartA New Member

The end of the rads with the TRV’s are the flow into the rad so traced that pipe into the loft & went from there. Also it’s not every other rad, it’s all the rads

6. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

It does look like it. I think the next step is to dismantle the valve. It might be something obvious like the ball fallen off the shaft.

7. StuartA

StuartA New Member

Well thankyou all for your advice/help so far it is very much appreciated. It will be a little while before I’m able to strip the valve out but once I have I will definitely post & let you know the outcome . watch this space! :)

8. SavageW

SavageW Plumber GSR

Just replace the 3port valve,you can get the paddle for them valves which is cheaper but is more involved to strip down.

9. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

He can take the top off to inspect it without undoing the pipework connections. If it can be repaired, good, if not he hasn't lost anything.
    But before that it would be worth taking the cover off the actuator and checking that's doing what it should. Maybe that's where the problem is.

10. StuartA

StuartA New Member

Hi all, update on my original problem, rather than remove the 3 port valve to see if it was repairable I spent £20 on a new one, fitted it today & it is all working as it should now, no hot flow pipes when CH is off!!!
    So a big thanks to all who offered help & advice, very much appreciated & hope it helps someone else in the future if they get this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

Great, good to hear it's fixed. If you're that way inclined, why not take it apart and see if you can see what was wrong with it.

12. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

Not a wiring fault with your new salus then?

13. StuartA

StuartA New Member

I am that way inclined! So will be having a look & see if I can make a good spare of it

14. StuartA

StuartA New Member

No not a wiring fault

15. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

Let us know the results please :)

• Like Like x 1