Search the forum,

Discuss CH Experts - Correct solution to renew seal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Pics: Main drain for the CH system - at the lowest point of the system.

It is 25 years old - and I cannot easily replace it.

It is leaking.

Q: How does this particular drain plug/fitting create its seal (when tightened).

It is directly exposed to the elements all year round.

Is there likely to be some sort of rubber washer or diaphragm inside?

If its simply a washer - whats the right type of washer to choose (given it's purpose and exposure to extreme cold during winters)?

It's leaking and I'm losing pressure in the CH system - simply tightening is not sorting the problem.

Leonardo.

20171104_162349.jpg
20171104_162356.jpg
20171104_162403.jpg
20171104_162412.jpg

Arctic Products MT Drain Cock Tap Washers ½

Replace the washer, but will require a drain down

When you unscrew the inner there will be the remains of a washer on it with other bits stuck to the remaining seat.
Scrape the seat clean then fit new washer.

As it's a sealed system you'll loose some water to start with then it'll stop.
It won't matter if it does keeps coming as you'll be outside anyway.

One of these;

Draw off cock washer | eBay

As above time for a drain down and flush out unscrew the square section all the way out to revael the old rubber washer or whats left of it , clean up and replace with a new washer and refit. Cheers kop

As everyone else has said, just take it out and pop the new one in, if you are unsure of the washer get a few!

It can be very easily done without a drain down.
But if any work in future requires a drain down, or system flush, then leave it until then.
I very regularily replace the washers in draincocks if they are leaking or old washer seized and heat damaged, while system is full of water. I usually have no choice as it is by far the fastest way to have a fully working drain point.
I also do it where draincocks are inside homes and garages, so that one being outside is very easy.
Really a plumbers job though, but if you wish to risk it, get a new washer, plus you might consider have a new draincock with similar works you can rob in the hope they fit that one. Just put a hose on the drain and then screw out the works. If entire washer doesn't come out with the brass nut, have a small slotted screwdriver to poke the washer out. (Might require a bit of levering to break and remove an expanded or hardened old washer).
You will get a lot of water coming out, but nothing usually that can't be stopped with holding something against it while you work.
Only touch it when heating system is cold and electrically isolated.

When you say loosing pressure is your system sealed , i.e you fill it via a filling loop

When you say loosing pressure is your system sealed , i.e you fill it via a filling loop

Good point! No mention of tank fed, so going to be easy to take the pressure off system if it's sealed and replace washer.

I always smear a wee bit of silicone grease on the washer when I change them. It will help prevent it sticking in future. (Not forever obviously).

I always smear a wee bit of silicone grease on the washer when I change them. It will help prevent it sticking in future. (Not forever obviously).

Reminds me I used to unscrew the works from brand new draincocks and carefully wrap the rubber washer in ptfe tape to prevent it sticking. Used to do that on oil boilers where the draincock was directly into the boiler. Maybe a bit mad.
It is the heat that damages the washer, so if a draincock is installed on a long dead leg, or on a pipe that is dropped down below the rest of system, then the washer seems to last.
If possible it is IMO best to have a screw-in draincock, into a female fitting, so you just need to undo the nut and swap entire lot.
Some 1/2" screw in draincocks came with a tapered edge suitable for using a nut and olive, which is very handy.

Last edited:
If the jumper (mechanism) remains in the valve after removing the nut, the best toll is short ling nosed piers, to grip the stem and pull forward.

f the jumper (mechanism) remains in the valve after removing the nut, the best tool is short,sturdy, long nosed piers, to grip the stem and pull forward.
If the jumper comes out, leaving the washer, use a thick screw or a crew extractor to wind into the washer hole,then pull to remove.

It is best to buy a replacement cock. Remove the mechanism, to be ready to insert as soon as the assembly is removed. This is a type B draincock:

Midbrass brass plain shank drain cock (Type-B) 15mm | Plumb Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH Experts - Correct solution to renew seal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening, just had new boiler and Ch pump. 24hrs later noticed pump was constantly pumping despite schedule being off. Only way to stop it was to turn boiler off, opened airing cupboard to notice slight wet patch from a leaking valve near pump. Fitter sent someone out who drained system and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a sealed ch system that I am trying to fit a new 3 way valve (leaking) and a water pump (nocking) in one go, problem is that the two shut off valves at the pump are solid screw type and will not turn even with a large bladed screwdriver so I am stuck. Looks like my only option will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock