Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating turns off after an hour or so in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

new here and apologies for my first post being a question about my own system.
Vaillant Thermocompact 620e
danfoss fp715 programmer
Danfoss hpa2 motorised control valves
Danfoss mechanical in room thermostat

The hot water works fine. The central heating comes on as programmed and then shuts down after about an hour. I believe the mechanical room thermostat is working properly and is calling for heat. If I go to the garage where the boiler is, and move the control lever on the central heating HPA2 to the manual position, the heating comes on and works normally. Of course I have to go and manually turn it off again at the end of the night otherwise the pump continues all night. I initially thought the HPA2 was faulty so replaced it like for like but it persists. The valve isnt binding or tight. I dont think its the fp715 either as it was replaced a few months ago, although I quite understand that occasionally things are faulty, right out of the box.
The house is about 12 years old and the boiler is original, regularly serviced.
Any thoughts as to the possible fault that is causing the CH to turn off after an hour or so, but still be functional by moving the hpa2 manually?
Am obliged!
Jim

Whilst I`m no heating engineer I would turn the room thermostat to maximum and just see what happens then.

If I’m not mistaken this valve when in manual position is connecting end switch with permanent live and boiler live, this will keep boiler and pump cycling on and off. Are you sure the roomstat isn’t at fault causing valve to shut and boiler and pump turn off? Maybe someone can correct me?

Dodgy wire connection in room stat maybe? switch live, neutral? These valves are pretty basic, four wires, a permanent live, neutral, feed and boiler live. Can’t be hard to trace the problem

As I recall, nothing happens when the boiler turns off and I try turning the room thermostat right up. However, with every comment pointing at the roomstat now, I am beginning to disbelieve myself now, so I will try that again this evening if the fault reappears. I have had the cover off the roomstat and given it a blast of air (although to be fair there was no visible buildup of hair or stoor).

A quick update. The boiler lit up and provided central heating as planned at 1700, the rads got hot and then it went off around 45 mins later. I went into the garage, manually operated the hpa2 and the heating is back on. I turned down the thermostat, it clicked and the heating went off. I turned it up and it came on...so Im fairly sure the roomstat is ok....

A quick update. The boiler lit up and provided central heating as planned at 1700, the rads got hot and then it went off around 45 mins later. I went into the garage, manually operated the hpa2 and the heating is back on. I turned down the thermostat, it clicked and the heating went off. I turned it up and it came on...so Im fairly sure the roomstat is ok..
Is the Boiler going on and off OK for heating the cylinder?

Thanks for the reply. Yes the hw seems to work, although the timers are the same, so by manually operating the ch, it will run the boiler for both. The hpa2 for the hw seems to be working properly - when in programme, the manual lever is ‘floppy’

If the motorised valve on CH is closing, it will be:-
Switched Live from programmer opening.
Room thermostat opening.
The valve itself (but you changed that so I can't see it).
Or the cables/wires/flex between the above.
It could be a Boiler fault but it doesn't sound like it if you have no issue with DHW. Does the tank warm up in less than 45 min?

Thanks again for reply. I guess the hpa2 could be faulty straight out of the box, although that doesnt explain why it works for the first hour and then closes again? HW is a very quick heat up. The programmer is fairly recent too so I cant see it being faulty. Could the faulty hpa2 on the hw circuit throw the whole thing off?

Thanks again for reply. I guess the hpa2 could be faulty straight out of the box, although that doesnt explain why it works for the first hour and then closes again? HW is a very quick heat up. The programmer is fairly recent too so I cant see it being faulty. Could the faulty hpa2 on the hw circuit throw the whole thing off?

I wouldn't think so.

Wait until it goes off again and check the Voltage on the switched live to the Motor and Neutral. make sure you check the Neutral, don't use a testing screwdriver for this, you need a voltage tester or multimeter.

If you do it that way you will know whether the voltage has gone and that is why the valve has closed or whether there is a fault with he valve itself.

I am presuming you are competent with Electrics. If not then you would be better to get a Heating Engineer or Electrician who is experienced with CH wiring.

Thanks again, yes I am a competent diy-er with the correct tools, so will test these in the morning. Have to say this has me baffled!
Thanks again, if nothing else it stops me thinking Im going mad!

Thanks again, yes I am a competent diy-er with the correct tools, so will test these in the morning. Have to say this has me baffled!
Thanks again, if nothing else it stops me thinking Im going mad!
No you're not going mad. These things are sent to try us and there are many weird and mind boggling faults that occur on a daily basis.
On the whole anything can be tested and ruled out if you know how.

No you're not going mad. These things are sent to try us and there are many weird and mind boggling faults that occur on a daily basis.
On the whole anything can be tested and ruled out if you know how.
Ive tested the hpa2 wiring now. According to my instructions this four wire unit is brown live, blue neutral and the grey and orange are switched.
My test is, heating off and cold:
Brown blue 0v
Blue orange 0v
Blue grey 240v
Grey orange 220v

Did you replace the actuator or the whole valve? You might have a blockage somewhere that’s allowing it to get to temperature and turning off. Have you tried the programmer, as in looked to see if it’s off there? Only reason I had a myson one that if I boosted for an hour would sometimes turn off when hot water was satisfied.

Did you replace the actuator or the whole valve? You might have a blockage somewhere that’s allowing it to get to temperature and turning off. Have you tried the programmer, as in looked to see if it’s off there? Only reason I had a myson one that if I boosted for an hour would sometimes turn off when hot water was satisfied.
Just the actuator replaced. When I removed the old one, I checked the valve and it rotated very easily and wasnt leaking. The programmer is fairly new, about three months old. It appears to work as expected but Im not sure how it can be tested other than by replacement. To be fair this is the third fp715 ive had in this house in 12 years. Not the most reliable of kit according to the interwebs either.

Ive tested the hpa2 wiring now. According to my instructions this four wire unit is brown live, blue neutral and the grey and orange are switched.
My test is, heating off and cold:
Brown blue 0v
Blue orange 0v
Blue grey 240v
Grey orange 220v
If it is calling for heat and you have those readings then there most likely is an issue with the programmer, room stat or wiring.

If it is calling for heat and you have those readings then there most likely is an issue with the programmer, room stat or wiring.
Thanks, its pointing to the roomstat as many have suggested! Programmer is newish and the house is less than 15 years old which kinda suggests its not very likely. Appreciate all your thoughts so far mate

Reply to Central heating turns off after an hour or so in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler doesn't work radiators not working radiators or heating system is cold thermostat wont work or respond Then post a reply in this thread. Rather than us...
Replies
Views
I've just replaced an Ultra SASF2 – M thermostatic shower cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temperature sensor. My problem is this: If I install the thermostatic cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temp sensor (i.e. do the job properly), the shower runs warm...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock