Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating stops/starts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening guys. Just a quick question please and don't judge me, cause I'm a bit new with the central heating. I use to have only electric heating before.
For example...now my thermostat show 18 degrees. If I would set up the temperature to 22 for example, my central heating will start to heat. After few minutes, will stop, be in stand by, after that starts again for few seconds, again stops for few minutes, and after that again start, keeps heating a bit longer and so on. What I mean is... the central heating should continuously 'burn' till is gonna reach the temperature that I set, or is normal to have few short 'breaks' between the heating cycles?
Thank you for your time.

You may be seeing a variant of this problem

Boiler thermostat query

in which case you can understand what's going on from my answer there.

Try opening (i.e. increasing the setpoint temperature by turning them anticlockwise) thermostatic valves on your radiators and letting the room stat that controls the boiler regulate the temperature.

If you can't get it working reasonably easily, get a qualified heating engineer to check the operation of the system (and service the boiler if it hasn't been done recently) and explain to you how to get the best out of it.

Thanks for your reply Chuck. I've checked all the thermostat valves from radiators and all at them are fully open. Any other hints?
Could you give a bit more information please.
Make and model of Boiler,
Make and model of any time clocks, programmers, thermostats, Roughly what type/size of house e.g. pre-war semi with three bed. How long has the system been installed.
When you say it did this with the old thermostat, why have you changed it?
Just so we can try and imagine the set up you have.

As I stated previously. In the other thread about your hive. You would be better to get an engineer involved now. You have changed the thermostat and it still isn’t working. It would be cheaper in the long run to do this.

Before to change the thermostat, use to do the same thing. When I change the thermostat to Hive, I use the same connections that has been made for the old thermostat.
The model of the boiler is Sabre HE25. The strange thing is the house is heating quiet slow. Even when you touch the radiators, they are hot, but not that hot as you can't keep the hand on them. Please find attached all the pictures for boiler, radiators and thermostat. By the way, in order to install the hive, I had to disconnect the timer that is included into the boiler, but how I said, the boiler use to act the same before.

15428848055192250655375621261568.jpg

15428848278747356244759610098408.jpg

15428848574333151766970208591056.jpg

15428848845653277280623999755095.jpg

15428849169282910478870833809098.jpg

Turn the boiler control knob for radiators (next to timer) fully clockwise. Turn the radiator stats (TRV's) onto at least 3.

Where do you keep the Hive control stat? Shouldn't be on bedside table, if it is.

Boiler pressure should be 1-1.25 bar cold and really no more than 2 - 2.5 bar when hot . It may need looking at if going past 3 bar.

Last edited:
The thermostat is on the chest of drawers, where is the tv, front of bed. I will check the radiators as soon as I get home. By the way, can I set up the temperature for heating at maximum? As you can see in photos, is set at middle now. One of my plumber friends said he's not recommending that, but I don't know the reason.

The thermostat is on the chest of drawers, where is the tv, front of bed. I will check the radiators as soon as I get home. By the way, can I set up the temperature for heating at maximum? As you can see in photos, is set at middle now. One of my plumber friends said he's not recommending that, but I don't know the reason.
Nope. Younget to get a heating engineer out as you have to many issues going on.

I still agree with Harvest. You have too many issues that need looking at. If you turn the Boiler stat up to MAX, the chances are that it will not be in a condensing state for very long.
Get someone to set the system up for you. It may cost one or two hundred pounds but it will be worth it in my opinion.

Reply to Central heating stops/starts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or two and then goes off. After another few seconds it starts again and then stays on. This happens around 8 out of 10 times. I had engineer having a...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock