Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pipes in attic - Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am in the process of putting in central heating into a 70s bungalow and I am going to do some of the work myself as my mate who's a plumber is finding hard to start on the job due to personal problems.

Anyway, I was just wandering if the feed and return pipes that will run in the attic can be placed into clips and run across the beams or do they really need to run in notches, so that they are below top height of the beams.

The attic is of limited height and I have no plans of putting anything up there so from my point of view it would be much better if they ran on top of the beams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Run on top of ceiling joists, keeping runs as smooth a grade as possible, provide at least one air vent on flow and one on return at the high point of pipework. Insulate pipes individually and when replacing roof insulation lay the bulk of insulation above pipes.( insulation that runs between ceiling joists can be left in place). Screw crawl boards in place to assist access and leave in place for future maintenance. Do not nail as nailing will disturb plaster ceiling.
Do not use automatic air vents, as dependant on pump position, one of the air vents could suck air.

Last edited:
Do Not notch the beams (rafters) in lofts !!!

As above
Clip along the tops with a spacer so that you can get the required thickness of pipe insulation around them even as it crosses them.

Thank you both for the rapid replies ! Especially as it was the answer that I was hoping for ! :) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pipes in attic - Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock