Search the forum,

Discuss CENTRAL HEATING INHIBITOR TO ADD OR NOT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Im having some new radiators put in Ch pump changed and 3 way port ,
System will be drained down.

Plumbers comments : if he adds inhibitor i will need to add filters to the system otherwise it could lead to damage to the boiler.

This i have no problem with but he cant fit today , should inhibitor still be added

present set up ideal logic slim line classic boiler , vented system with 11 rads
there are no filters on the system. boiler was fitted 2004 new build , pipe work is plastic.

any advise ?

Isolate boiler, drain down, fit new parts, refill and flush, flush until clear, fit a filter, fill system
check for leaks, drain, add inhibitor, refill, open boiler valves, test ch water with chemical test paper, simple then
maintain system Rob Foster aka ...centralheatking

You should always add inhibitor, everytime you drain the system And check the concentration of the inhibitor every year in case it needs topping up. It is best practice to add a cleaner prior to the drain down and let it do its work for a day or two. then fill up with fresh water and flush that out as well before filling up for the last time and adding the all important inhibitor. installing a good quality mag filter to the return before the boiler is also recommended but not a must have.

Thankyou for the quick reply

ill talk to him about fitting a filter and see when he can fit that in hes pretty busy , so while i'm waiting on the filter being fitted should i add some inhibitor.

it may be a couple of weeks before he can fit me in
Is it a long job to fit the filters ? could i run out to a plumbers merchant and get him a filter today ?

Something like this ?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/adey-cp1-03-00022-01-2-magnetic-filtration-22mm/49961

Sorry about all the questions im at work and the wifes trying to deal with the plumber .

Something like this ?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/adey-cp1-03-00022-01-2-magnetic-filtration-22mm/49961

Sorry about all the questions im at work and the wifes trying to deal with the plumber .

That is exactly what you need, can be installed in 20 mins no problem if the system is already drained. and then you can also use it to add the inhibitor.

do
Thankyou for the quick reply

ill talk to him about fitting a filter and see when he can fit that in hes pretty busy , so while i'm waiting on the filter being fitted should i add some inhibitor.

it may be a couple of weeks before he can fit me in
Is it a long job to fit the filters ? could i run out to a plumbers merchant and get him a filter today ?
Do it today, he should know that anyway chking
get some inhibitor while picking up filter

Something like this ?

dont pay till he has done the job properly ...filter and inhibitor..
is the proper job centralheatking

I have been asking for for couple days about adding inhibitor it comes to the last day and then he mentions filters.

Wifes on the way to screwfix hes saying hes short on time but if i blonk the part down in front of him he may get it fitted .

So much to learn.
Forums like this are invaluable and the professionals who provide the correct advise

A thank you to all that help and respond to all threads

keep up the good work

I have been asking for for couple days about adding inhibitor it comes to the last day and then he mentions filters.

Wifes on the way to screwfix hes saying hes short on time but if i blonk the part down in front of him he may get it fitted .

So much to learn.
Forums like this are invaluable and the professionals who provide the correct advise

A thank you to all that help and respond to all threads

keep up the good work
There is ONLY one forum like this....UKPF...populated by kind, experienced, professional
people..let us know how it all pans out....centralheatking

You absolutely do not need to add a filter if he's adding inhibitor. Inhibitor should be added whenever any work is done to system and that should be standard practice by any plumber. But stating that if he adds inhibitor you will need a filter is an outright lie.

You absolutely do not need to add a filter if he's adding inhibitor. Inhibitor should be added whenever any work is done to system and that should be standard practice by any plumber. But stating that if he adds inhibitor you will need a filter is an outright lie.
why not fit a mag and debris filter they are well cheap and why not

The question of whether to fit one or not wasn't raised, the plumber told op one was needed if inhibitor was added which isn't correct.
ok so just do both its obvious to moi , regards Centrakheatking
these filters due to over supply in uk market are falling over each
over each other to get any decent market share and are so cheap
why not put one in

My main concern was running the heating system with all the new rads , 3 way port and pump without inhibitor .
I have no issues in fitting a filter.
After lurking on this forum for last couple of weeks while i was having bathroom ensuite upgraded . Inhibitor in CH seemed a must i was just thrown by his sudden claim that if he were to add the inhibitor it would cause damage to the boiler with out a filter .

Screwfix did not have filter in stock so plumber has agreed to return to fit filter Saturday .

System has no inhibitor at present ,is a couple of days with out inhibitor ok ?

should i buy a bottle and add ?

My main concern was running the heating system with all the new rads , 3 way port and pump without inhibitor .
I have no issues in fitting a filter.
After lurking on this forum for last couple of weeks while i was having bathroom ensuite upgraded . Inhibitor in CH seemed a must i was just thrown by his sudden claim that if he were to add the inhibitor it would cause damage to the boiler with out a filter .

Screwfix did not have filter in stock so plumber has agreed to return to fit filter Saturday .

System has no inhibitor at present ,is a couple of days with out inhibitor ok ?

should i buy a bottle and add ?
Couple of days will be fine, I'm also not knocking the plumber and he may be good at his job but be warned that he has lied to you.

As with all plumbers hes phone never stops ringing.

I honestly think he was in rush to get away as he wasn't supposed to be here today he should have finished yesterday.

I did think what he told the wife sounded incorrect so asked here.

But how hard is it to put inhibitor in if you have the system all drained down anyway ?

Again everyone who has commented on this thread has informed us mere mortals :).

Thankyou

As with all plumbers hes phone never stops ringing.

I honestly think he was in rush to get away as he wasn't supposed to be here today he should have finished yesterday.

I did think what he told the wife sounded incorrect so asked here.

But how hard is it to put inhibitor in if you have the system all drained down anyway ?

Again everyone who has commented on this thread has informed us mere mortals :).

Thankyou
Putting inhibitor in a drained down system is easy, putting inhibitor in a filled up system is also easy.
He probably just didn't have any inhibitor in his van.

Not sure if there’s room for a filter

Wall mounted boiler 15 mm pipe out of the bottom running up into ceiling , 2 22mm out the top one with a stock cock , about 8-10 inches clearance from top of boiler to ceiling

I like to fit filters that act as a dosing pot. I guess the whole brass units are much more durable but.....it does make a cheeky inhibitor top up during a service much quicker and easier.

Adey are all plastic as far as I remember. Flowflex market a smashing all brass job which in
my opinion is really very good
AND I did not design it
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Adey are all plastic as far as I remember. Flowflex market a smashing all brass job which in
my opinion is really very good
AND I did not design it
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

They may be plastic but in my opinion are the best on the market made realy tough and great at capturing not only magnatite but also non metilic debris also. A doddle to install. They do a mini version for tight spaces also. And used alongside a magnacleanse makes powerflushing done in a fraction of the time.

Cast iron heat exchanger? Never had inhibitor before? If that’s the case adding inhibitor will be the start of your problems. Pure water in a flushed system with no oxygen will do you for years. You won’t have sticky gloop bleeding out of joints and leaking trv spindles. We never had half the problems in the days before mass marketed inhibitors as we have now.

Cast iron heat exchanger? Never had inhibitor before? If that’s the case adding inhibitor will be the start of your problems. Pure water in a flushed system with no oxygen will do you for years. You won’t have sticky gloop bleeding out of joints and leaking trv spindles. We never had half the problems in the days before mass marketed inhibitors as we have now.

But now we have small bore hex' s, small dwh plate hex's small bore pipework and TRV's. If they where on the old boilers and systems they would never cope with it without a good inhibitor in the system.

But now we have small bore hex' s, small dwh plate hex's small bore pipework and TRV's. If they where on the old boilers and systems they would never cope with it without a good inhibitor in the system.

Fitted many Vaillants back in the early days. Instructions stated no inhibitors required on sealed systems. Those boilers never suffered from the issues we see today like perished o’rings, leaking from spindles etc. Inhibitors aren’t widely used on the continent either but it’s big business in this country, we just chuck the stuff in without really understanding it.

Fitted many Vaillants back in the early days. Instructions stated no inhibitors required on sealed systems. Those boilers never suffered from the issues we see today like perished o’rings, leaking from spindles etc. Inhibitors aren’t widely used on the continent either but it’s big business in this country, we just chuck the stuff in without really understanding it.
I agree totally, we had the first Vaillant
branded van packs in Somerset x5 mid 1980,s great boilers we
never ever fitted a filter. However the heat exchangers are now very small and the water pathways are almost molecular so any debris of any any sort will give the things a terminal heart attack ..its not progress really,
Rob Foster ..aka centralheatking

Reply to CENTRAL HEATING INHIBITOR TO ADD OR NOT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock